What is Dengue ?
Due to a little carelessness towards health, many types of diseases surround. Some of these are normal, but there are also many that, if not treated at the right time, can be serious and life-threatening. One of those diseases is dengue.
Dengue is a virus, which is spread by a species of mosquitoes called Aedes egypti. Even a single bite of a mosquito can cause dengue. It is also called break bone fever, because in this the patient feels pain like breaking a bone. Keep in mind that as soon as you see the symptoms of dengue, get tested and treated immediately.
Dengue is mainly found in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world. People suffering from dengue usually recover in about a week, but in some people the disease becomes severe. In general, the patient experiences fever and mild weakness. At the same time symptoms such as discomfort, severe abdominal pain or vomiting, bleeding from the nose or gums, blood in the stool, irritability, pale cold, clammy skin and shortness of breath may be seen.
There are four types of dengue virus. Dengue fever is caused by one of four types of virus. Once a person gets dengue, after recovery, a special antibody is made in the body for that virus. Due to this, the immunity of the body against that virus increases. It remains safe only for some time from the other three types of virus. Did you know that dengue fever can also be treated at home. The article describes several home remedies to treat dengue fever. Let us know in detail about some of the major home remedies.
Symptoms of Dengue
Dengue can be either mild or severe. There is an increased risk of developing hemorrhagic fever or DHF (Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever) in severe cases. In this condition, the blood vessels get damage and the platelet count starts decreasing in the blood. In such a situation, its symptoms are also seen differently. If any such symptom is seen, the doctor should be contact immediately. Mild symptoms of dengue begin to appear within four to seven days after being infected. These include the following symptoms :
- High fever (104°F)
- Muscle, bone and joint pain
- Eye pain
- Skin rash
- Swollen glands
- Loss of appetite
- Severe abdominal pain
- Bleeding gums or nose
- Blood in urine, stool, or vomit
- Difficulty breathing
- Feeling tired
- Irritability or restlessness
- Rapid drop in blood pressure and low heart rate.
Types of Dengue Fever
There are three types of fever that put a person at risk, which are as follows, mild dengue fever, dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome.
1) Mild Dengue Fever :
symptoms appear a week after mosquito bite and include serious or fatal complications.
2) Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever :
symptoms are mild, but can gradually become severe over a few days.
3) Dengue Shock Syndrome :
This is a severe form of dengue and can even cause death.
Causes of Dengue
Dengue fever is a disease caused by the bite of a mosquito carrying the dengue virus. The female Aedes mosquito is the carrier of this virus. The female Aedes mosquito responsible for dengue fever usually breeds in clear but stagnant water, so avoiding stagnation should be a concern to reduce the risk of infection.
Dengue fever is caused by one of four types of dengue virus that are spread by mosquitoes that breed in and around human habitats, which are DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3 and DENV-4. The virus enters the mosquito’s body when it bites an already infected person. And the disease is spread when that mosquito bites a healthy person, and the virus spreads through the person’s bloodstream.
Once a person recovers from dengue fever, he is immune to the specific virus, but not to the other three types of virus. Your chances of developing severe dengue fever, also known as dengue hemorrhagic fever, increase if you are infect for a second, third, or fourth time.
Diagnosis of Dengue
Dengue is usually diagnose based on the patient’s symptoms and physical examination. Your doctor may suggest the following tests after evaluating your symptoms :
1) Complete Blood Count :
Through this test, the platelet count in the body is detect. A low count of these cells indicates how severe the dengue has become.
2) ELISA Test for Dengue NS1 Ag :
This is a blood test, through which dengue virus antigen is detect. However, it may show negative results during the initial stages of infection. In such a situation, if the symptoms of dengue persist in someone, then this test should be done again.
3) PCR Test (PCR for detecting viral DNA) :
This test may be more effective in the first 7 days after infection, when NS1 Ag
The result of the test comes negative even though there is an infection.
4) Serum IgG and IgM Test :
Usually this test is done to know the later stage and condition. Once the virus has entered the body, the immune cells start producing IgG and IgM antibodies against the dengue virus. The level of these antibodies gradually increases.
Prevention Tips for Dengue
- Use repellant to keep mosquitoes away, especially whenever you go out of the house.
- Wear long-sleeved T-shirts and full pants when you go out of the house. Dress the children in full clothes too.
- Use air condition at home.
- Make sure that there are no holes or cracks in your doors and windows so that mosquitoes cannot enter your house.
- Use net while sleeping.
- Do not allow water to accumulate around your home. If old things like old tires, cans or pots are full of water in or around your home, remove them immediately.
- Dispose of solid waste properly and remove artificial man-made habitats.
Diet in Dengue Fever
In dengue, the diet and lifestyle should be like this :
- Drink more and more water.
- Dengue causes high fever, as well as stomach problems. In this case, light and digestible diet should be taken.
- In dengue, the patient’s mouth and throat become dry. Therefore, the patient should take fresh soup, juice and coconut water.
- Make lemonade and drink it. Lemon juice makes the body healthy by removing the dirt from the body through urine.
- Herbal tea provides relief in fever. Add ginger and cardamom to it.
- Drink fresh vegetable juice when you notice the symptoms of dengue. Carrots, cucumbers and other leafy vegetables are very good in this. These vegetables are full of essential vitamins and minerals that help in boosting the immunity power of the patient.
- Eat oatmeal. The high fiber and nutrients present in it give enough strength to fight diseases.
- Dengue patient requires a lot of protein. Therefore, the patient must consume milk and dairy products.
Avoidance During Dengue
- Do not do physical work.
- Take rest as much as possible.
- Wear warm clothes.
- Stomach problems occur due to dengue. Therefore, do not consume oily and spicy food at all.
- There are many toxic elements in non-vegetarian food which make a person’s body sick. Therefore, meat-eating should always be avoid.
Home Remedies for Dengue Fever
You can treat dengue fever at home by following these steps :
1) Drinking the juice of neem leaves increases the number of platelets and white blood cells. It also improves the immune system. Therefore, during the treatment of dengue, take neem according to the advice of the doctor.
2) Drink 2-3 spoons of aloe vera juice mixed with water daily. Many diseases can be avoid by this. It also gives relief in dengue fever.
3) Basil leaves prove to be very beneficial in dengue fever. It removes toxins from the body, and strengthens the immune system. Make a decoction by boiling 5-7 basil leaves in water. Add a pinch of black pepper to it and drink it.
4) Giloy is a very important herb for dengue fever. It strengthens the immunity and reduces the infection of the body. Boil the stem of Giloy and make a decoction and drink it. It effectively reduces the symptoms of dengue. Giloy can also do another remedy, grind 2-3 grams of Giloy. Make a decoction by boiling 5-6 basil leaves in a glass of water. Give it to the patient.
5) Fenugreek leaves bring down fever, and provide relief even when there is pain in the body. Take some leaves of fenugreek plant and put them in a bowl of water. Boil the water till the leaves are completely soak in water. Drink this mixture regularly once or twice a day. Follow this home remedy strictly to treat dengue at home. Follow this remedy till you get complete relief from dengue.
6) Papaya leaves are very beneficial in dengue fever. If you see the symptoms of dengue fever, then consume it as per the advice of the doctor. The combination of nutrients and organic compounds present in papaya increases the number of platelets.
7) Orange juice contains antioxidants and vitamin C, which is believed to be better at destroying the dengue fever virus. It also strengthens the immune system.
8) Barley grass has the ability to increase the number of platelets in the body, by correcting the production of blood cells. During dengue fever, the number of platelets in the blood decreases very much, so the consumption of barley grass is very beneficial. Make a decoction from barley grass and drink it. You can also eat this grass. It is very effective in reducing the symptoms of dengue fever.
9) Grind a ripe pumpkin and drink it after adding a spoonful of honey. For better benefits consult an ayurvedic doctor.
10) Drinking coconut water is very beneficial during the treatment of dengue. The essential nutrients present in it like minerals and electrolytes make the body strong.
11) Take out carrot juice in a glass and take few spoons of beetroot juice and mix it well in 1/4 glass of carrot juice. Drink this juice several times a day, this juice protects our blood cells from dengue virus and gives energy. Beet juice contains high amounts of antioxidants, which help in increasing the body’s immunity.
12) Goldenseal is a herb whose dried root is use to make medicine. It has the ability to relieve the symptoms of dengue and eliminate the virus. It acts like a papaya leaf. They are use by crushing and chewing them or extracting their juice.
13) Turmeric is also known to boost metabolism and helps speed up the healing process. You can consume turmeric with milk.
14) Herbal tea can help reduce the symptoms of dengue fever. Cardamom, basil and ginger can be use to make herbal tea. The antiviral properties found in it can help in controlling the effect of dengue virus.
15) Guava juice also contains many nutrients. Along with this, it also contains vitamin C, which increases immunity. Therefore, include guava juice for the treatment of dengue fever. You can also eat fresh guava instead of juice.
16) Kiwi fruit contains minerals, vitamins, iron and antioxidants, which increase immunity and improve plasma. Kiwi is also consider important in the home remedy for dengue fever.
17) Green vegetables like spinach are also beneficial in dengue fever. Spinach contains iron which is effective in curing dengue fever and removing platelets. Along with this, broccoli contains vitamins, which improve platelet count.
18) Eat red fruits like strawberries, pomegranates etc. Consumption of red fruits helps in increasing blood cells. This home remedy for dengue is one of the effective and best home remedies. Follow this home remedy strictly to treat dengue at home.
(The foods mentioned in the article can reduce the effect of dengue, but cannot cure it completely. In such a situation, it is necessary to get a checkup done by the doctor for complete treatment.)
Yoga and Pranayama for Dengue
If you are fighting dengue fever then you can also include yoga and pranayama in your daily routine. Anulom Vilom and Bhramari Pranayama can be beneficial in dengue. Apart from this, there are some yogasanas which are beneficial in dengue fever :
1) Vajrasana :
To do this, place your knees on the map and place the pelvis area on your ankles. Keep a space between your ankles. Place your palms on the thighs and keep the spine straight.
2) Vrikshasana :
To do this, stand on one leg and fold the other leg above the knees and take the vaccine. Keep both your hands above the head in the posture of Namaskar and keep the focus straight.
3) Dhanurasana :
To do Dhanurasana, lie down straight on the most mat. And bend your back in the shape of a bow, keeping the body weight on the feet and hands, lift the stomach upwards.
4) Paschimottanasana :
First of all, sit on a mat on the floor and spread both your legs in front. Relax the back muscles a little, while inhaling, take your hands up, then while exhaling, bend forward, after that try to hold the fingers with your hand and bring the nose to the knee. Breathe in slowly, then exhale slowly.
When should I get tested for dengue fever?
Dengue fever is diagnose not only by looking at the symptoms, but also after a blood test. The NS1 test should be done within the first five days of dengue symptoms, so that accurate results can be obtain. After doing this test, wrong results can also come.
Which organs are affected by dengue?
Depending on the symptoms, the most affected organs during dengue are the liver, lungs and heart. Apart from this, other organs like your blood vessels, nervous system and digestion can also become infected.
Which fruit is beneficial to eat in case of dengue?
If you have dengue, you should take special care of your diet. Especially increase the amount of green vegetables and fruits in the food, especially taking pomegranate, papaya and kiwi is more beneficial.
Does dengue cause death?
In fact, dengue can cause death. Although the death toll from dengue is very low, only 40 thousand people die every year out of 400 million infections. Despite the low mortality rate, dengue death is a matter of concern.
When should one contact the doctor in dengue fever?
In dengue, a person gets very high fever. Therefore, if one has fever, other symptoms like body ache, nausea, loss of appetite start. If this happens, contact the doctor immediately.
Can I take a bath in dengue fever?
Yes, bathing is necessary to maintain cleanliness. You can take a warm bath to flush out all the toxins and other impurities from your body. To stay clean, take a bath at least once a day. Also, use disinfectants and other cleaning agents to keep your surroundings clean. Keep your clothes away from other family members to avoid any bacterial transmission.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment