What is High Blood Pressure ?
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a chronic medical condition characterized by elevated force of blood against the walls of the arteries, potentially leading to serious health complications over time. It is a significant risk factor for heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular issues, often influenced by factors like lifestyle, genetics, and underlying health conditions.
There is no disease called High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) in Ayurveda system of medicine – to believe that it is completely wrong. Its description comes under Vatarogs in Ayurveda scriptures. Its Ayurvedic name is ‘Shiragat Vata’. ‘Shiragat Vata’ is the excessive pressure of blood on the blood vessels and arteries and their hardening. High blood pressure is caused by the increased pressure of blood on the vein and also on the cell walls. It is of two types:
1) High Blood Pressure
2) Low Blood Pressure
Here only ‘High Blood Pressure’ is being considered.
The human heart throws about seven pounds of blood into the artery at the time of one contraction. Even before this the blood in the artery remains completely filled. Due to the extra blood being pumped into the artery, the arteries are pressurized and their walls dilate. This may be due to the narrowing of the arteries. Special attention towards this has been given only in Ayurveda.
The second consequence is that the blood causes a wave in the arteries, which is strong in the beginning and gradually disappears before reaching the cells. The harder the artery, the faster the wave will travel. The higher the contraction, the slower it will run.
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
1) There is pain in the head of the patient, especially at the back of the head, in the temples, that is, behind the ear. Sometimes this headache is less or sometimes more.
2) The patient feels dizzy in the morning and evening.
3) The heart rate (speed) becomes higher. It can happen anytime.
4) The patient does not feel like doing work. He becomes irritable by nature. Gets tire even after doing a little work.
5) The patient’s memory power gradually decreases.
6) The patient has less sleep and even if it comes, it comes after a break.
7) Madagni occurs, that is, the appetite starts decreasing and there is a distaste for eating.
8) The amount of urine starts decreasing. On examination, it is found that the sugar albumen or churic acid has increased in the urine.
9) When there is high blood pressure, there is ‘bleeding’ from the nose and other parts of the body.
10) Irregular passing of stool etc. and there is more odor in it.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
1) The root cause of this is the excess of ‘Vata’ in the body. This hardens the arteries.
2) This may be due to the irregular routine of man. Such as not getting up on time, not having bowel movements on time, not exercising, not eating vegetarian food, not taking rest on time, doing unnecessary hard work and not sleeping on time.
3) Irregularity at the time of cessation of menstruation in women.
4) Blood pressure can also increase due to excessive grief, mental anguish, worry and anger.
Decisions About High Blood Pressure in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda medicine, it is necessary to have special knowledge about Sakshini Nadi for this pathology. It includes the following three things:
1. Measurement of pulse count.
2. Knowledge of rhythmic vibrations.
3. Shrinkability of pulse.
Today, in most families, hypertension-disease is seen in men and women. Once it enters the body, it becomes difficult to get rid of it permanently. Therefore, in the allopathic system of medicine, it comes under the category of incurable diseases and its treatment is only towards removing the symptoms when the blood pressure increases, such as removing insomnia etc.
Root cause of this :
- To remove the hardness of the arteries and bring them back to contractility
- Bringing harmony in the rhythm of the heart rate and vibration – this has been possible only through Ayurveda.
Its vices have been mention in 80 types in Sutrasthan Adhyay 20 by Maharishi Charaka. (Ashtirvatvikara: 20|10) Some of these are similar to the symptoms of allopathic ‘high blood pressure’. Such as heart palpitations, teeth breaking, eardrum, piercing pain in the temple, tiredness in short labor, tremors, lack of sleep, etc.
If Ayurvedic Swasthya Vritta is follow, then the patient can get more benefit without medicine.
Things that High Blood Pressure Patients Should Keep in Mind
According to Ayurveda medicine, the balance of ‘Vata’, ‘Kapha’ and ‘Pitta’ is said to be the symptom of a healthy body. It is necessary to follow the following rules of Ayurvedic ‘Swasthvrit’ in order to remain always healthy and disease free.
- Follow celibacy physically, verbally and mentally.
- Do physical and mental work only so that there is not much effort.
- Go for a walk in the forest or a place with dense trees every morning. Where there is good provision of light and clean air, such places should be consume.
- Take a bath with lukewarm water after practicing til oil regularly.
- Eat dinner before sunset and sleep at a fixed time.
- One must have some habit of reading and writing literature. The brain should not get tire, do such mental work.
- Pay special attention to the purification of defecation in the morning.
Using herbs or other Ayurvedic medicines for high blood pressure :
To remove the hardness of the arteries, first of all, Vaidyas use botanical ‘Sarpagandha’ i.e. ‘Sarpina’ tablets or its other compounds in this disease.
Sarpina being hot in nature, people with pitta nature. Those who are hypertensive patients immediately feel nervous and restless on using it and refuse to take this type of medicine again. Maharishi Charakne has preached ‘Charakja’ to create contraction. He has told that when even dried wood can be bent according to the mind by ‘snehana’ and ‘swedana’, then why can’t the living human being be changed at will by ‘snehana’ and ‘swedana’. This definitely gives permanent benefit to the patient.
First, the patient should be given external and internal ‘lubrication’. For ‘lubrication’, use ‘Surendra-Tel’, ‘Bala-Tel’. If the above oil cannot be used internally, then mix ‘almond oil’ in milk and give it. If there is a contract of Pitta, use Ghrita according to the scriptures.
After ‘snehana’ the patient should undergo ‘swedana’. To remove the stiffness of the veins, ‘soft sweating’ must be given. For this, only giving hot water ‘Nadi Swedan’ or Avagahan Swed will work.
Ayurvedic Medicine for High Blood Pressure
1) Brihad Vatchintamani Ras :
In the substances mixed in it :
(a) Swarnabhasma :
Being sweet, aliphatic and rich in nature, it quenches the vata and quenches the sensory toxins by providing blood. Due to its aliphatic and cooling properties, the organism reduces the stiffness of blood vessels. Due to the presence of chemicals, it regulates the air flow of old age.
(b) Raupya Bhasma :
(Silver Bhasma) Being acidic, cold, aliphatic and sweet vipaka, it will increase the phlegm of the corners of the veins, it will reduce the hardness. It will remove the sensory poison of the body and increase the qualities of contraction, pleasure etc. Weakness of diseases of all parts of the body will be remove and the heart will become strong.
(c) Loh Bhasma :
It destroys heart-diseasing diseases. By consuming Lohabhasma, the blood cells become strong by purifying the body. Being a chemical, it regulates the old age old Vata. It removes diseases and makes the body healthy.
(d) Abhrak Bhasma :
Being aliphatic and cool, it quenches the air. Being sweet-spirited, it quenches the vata and brings softness in the blood vessels.
(e) Rassindoor :
It is beneficial in high blood pressure by being nutritious, carminative and anti-venom for the heart.
(f) Ghee-car :
By organizing the abdominal organs and removing the contaminated part from the body, makes the liver healthy.
Thus ‘Brihad Vatchintamani Ras’ is a suitable medicine in hypertension- disease.
2) Yogendra Rasa :
Yogendra destroys the poison of the sense organs due to the presence or excess of gold in the juice and offers blood. Due to the force of blood, it regulates the contraction and circulation process of the heart. Due to which the increase in blood pressure is reduce. It also indirectly affects the digestive system and urinary system. Diseases like ‘dysentery, gout’, ‘sleepiness’ etc. are also cure by the use of this chemical.
3) Bhringrajasava :
In this, the first basic substance is Bhringraj, the second substance is Harad, which is in large quantity. The first direct action takes place on Pakvashay because of Harak. It cleans the stomach slowly and removes the conditioned sclerosis. This reduces the formation of vata dosha, which is the root of the increase in blood pressure. Therefore, it is indirectly useful for increasing blood pressure.
(a) Arjuna-tvak :
Being a blood purifier and antitoxin, it purifies the blood by removing sensory toxins. In the initial stage of increase in blood pressure, there are symptoms like shortness of breath, burning sensation, craving etc., then it should be use.
(b) Chandrabhaga :
(Sarpagandha) It removes Vata and Kapha. Due to heat, it follows the air and reduces the increase in blood pressure and induces sleep.
(c) Jatamasi :
Due to its bitter, astringent and cold, if there is diabetes disease with increased blood pressure, then using it with Dhamasa, Shankhpushpi reduces sugar. It removes brain pain and heart palpitations.
(d) Shankhpushpi :
It follows the air by being warm and hot. It removes the stiffness of the veins and removes the disease. Due to the presence of chemicals, it removes the disease by regulating the increased air of old age. Having medhya will give strength to the brain and sleep will start coming.
(e) Dhamasa-jawasa :
Being cool, it is blood purifier and anti-blood. Being a blood purifier, pure blood gives strength to the heart and the work of the heart becomes regular. It reduces the stiffness of veins with its astringent and writing properties.
1) If the headache is more, then give Kapardi Bhasma and Akeeq Bhasma with Amla marmalade. At night, mix Brihadva Tachintamani juice and Sarpagandha powder and give it with milk.
2) If there is insomnia, mix Sarpagandha powder and large Vatachintamani juice in the morning and evening and give it with milk. Allopathic doctors also use ‘Sarpagandha’ in abundance to reduce blood pressure. Sarpagandha itself is hot. Therefore, giving Pitta Prakriti mixed with Prawal Pishti or Sita gives good benefits. Massaging the syrup with Narayan oil or pumpkin oil is also beneficial.
There is a possibility of paralysis disease in the very high state of blood pressure. Therefore ‘hypertension’ should be taken as a warning of paralysis. In hypertension, it is necessary to harden the veins before paralysis occurs.
There is no difference between the symptoms of ‘increased blood pressure’ and the symptoms of ‘Vervagata Vatarog’. The patient should take benefit after consulting experienced doctors.
Taking any medicine in small quantity will not give any benefit to the patient. It is an illusion to assume that those medicines are not useful because of this. For the quick effect of the medicines, one should not take more than the quantity. Taking more can cause harm, so every Ayurvedic medicine should be taken only under the guidance of doctor.