Sore throat is a common problem that almost everyone faces in their life. Sore throat affects millions of people in daily life. The problem of sore throat is mostly due to viral infection, although there can be other reasons as well which can trigger the problem of sore throat. You can adopt many types of home remedies to remove sore throat or infection. In this article, we are telling you in detail about the symptoms, causes and home remedies for sore throat.
What is Sore Throat ?
Sore throat is a common infection. When the season changes, it takes some time for our body to adapt to the change in weather. During this time the immunity becomes weak, due to which we become vulnerable to problems like seasonal and viral infections, as well as allergies etc. very quickly. Especially in such a situation, the problems that most people suffer from are cold, cough and fever. Along with this, many people also have problems like sore throat, cough and phlegm.
People affected by the problem of sore throat may experience a change in voice. Sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, mild swelling in the throat area are common symptoms of sore throat. Tonsillitis, GERD, viral flu, viral infection and bacterial infection are the major causes of sore throat. The problem of sore throat affects most people at a young age, especially in childhood. Even though this disease is highly prevalent in children it also affects millions of adults in the world.
Generally, the problem of sore throat is seen more in the cold season, but it can also happen in the summer season. In the summer season, repeatedly eating cold things or drinking a lot of cold water can also cause sore throat. Apart from this, many times during the cleaning of the house, there is a danger of getting dust-soil in the mouth or nose or due to pollution, there is a risk of allergic infection.
Usually it gets cured on its own in two to three days, but if it does not get cured for more than that, then it is necessary to treat it. Due to sore throat or infection, there is difficulty in swallowing food or drinking water and mild pain starts. Due to sore throat and cough some people get problems like throat blisters, pain and throat peeling due to this.
Symptoms of Sore Throat
Generally, according to what has caused sore throat, symptoms appear. The problem of sore throat can be identified by following symptoms :
- Feeling of tightness in throat
- Difficulty swallowing food or drinking water
- Throat swelling and pain
- Mild sore throat while talking
- Itching and mild pain around the throat
- Change in voice or hoarseness
- Mild pain while talking
- Red tonsils
Causes of Sore Throat
Sore Throat problem mainly bothers in the changing season. The most common reason for sore throat is eating cold things several times a day or drinking cold water late at night. Sore throat can be due to many reasons but the main reasons for sore throat are mentioned below :
- Colds, flu and viral infections are common causes of sore throat.
- Bacterial infection is one of the causes of sore throat.
- Allergies affecting the throat also become one of the main causes of sore throat.
- The dry environment around us is one of the major causes of sore throat.
- Throat pain due to neck injury.
- Smoking and chemical exposure to the throat is one of the common causes of sore throat.
- GERD or acid reflux disease is one of the leading causes of sore throat.
- Throat tumors also cause sore throat.
- Tonsillitis is one of the common causes of sore throat.
- Eating things kept in the fridge without bringing them to normal temperature and drinking very cold water also causes sore throat.
- Due to allergies, many times people have a problem of sore throat or infection.
- According to WHO, throat infection is the most common symptom of covid, but you do not need to panic because of this.
Prevention Tips for Sore Throat
- If you have sore throat or other symptoms, maintain physical distance from people.
- Take care of cleanliness. Wash hands thoroughly before and after eating food.
- Do not consume cigarette alcohol. Smoking can further increase the infection in the throat.
- Drink plenty of water but don’t drink cold water.
- Keep a handkerchief over your mouth while coughing or sneezing.
- Wherever there is air pollution or dirt, there is a risk of throat infection. Avoid going to dirty places.
Sore Throat Treatment
- A sore throat due to a viral infection usually lasts for 5-7 days and does not require any medical treatment.
- To relieve pain and fever, many people turn to acetaminophen or other mild pain relievers.
- Consider giving your child an over-the-counter pain reliever designed for infants or children, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, to relieve symptoms.
- Never give aspirin to children or teenagers, as it has been linked to Reye’s syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal disease that causes inflammation of the liver and brain.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
There is no need to immediately take any allopathic medicine or go to the doctor in case of sore throat. There are many home remedies, you can easily get relief from this problem. Many remedies have been told to relieve throat pain. Let us know about some major home remedies :
1) Gargling with salt water is the easiest and tried and tested method to get rid of sore throat. For this, first put one or two pinches of salt in the water and then make the water slightly lukewarm. After this, gargle with a glass of lukewarm water for about five minutes. It soothes sore throat and provides relief from throat pain.
2) You can consume carrots in case of sore throat or pain. The nutritious elements present in carrots help in curing sore throat quickly. For this, eat one or two carrots daily or make and drink its juice.
3) In case of sore throat, put a small piece of licorice in the mouth and keep sucking it slowly for a long time. By doing this, there is quick relief from the pain in the throat. Apart from this, you can also use licorice powder.
4) As we all know that honey is full of many qualities. This is a surefire way to get rid of sore throat. Consume one teaspoon of honey twice a day and drink lukewarm water along with it. By doing this, throat pain gets cured quickly.
5) Black pepper is very useful in treating sore throat, cough or cold. If it is consumed with sugar candy, then its benefits increase even more. Take equal quantity of black pepper powder and sugar candy and mix it and keep it in a closed box. In case of sore throat, consume a small quantity of it two to three times a day. After eating this, do not drink water for the next half an hour. It gives quick relief from sore throat and pain.
6) Peel some pieces of ginger and after that put it in water and let it boil for a long time. When half of the water is left, then understand that your decoction is ready. Consume this decoction in case of sore throat or pain in the throat. Drinking it two to three times a day is very beneficial for the throat.
7) If you have a sore throat and are having difficulty in speaking, then you can get a lot of relief from betel leaves. Chewing sugar mixed with green betel leaves provides relief from the problem of hoarseness or hoarseness, as well as sore throat.
8) Drinking herbal tea is a good option for throat infection. This tea will give warmth to the throat, reduce soreness and the body will get immunity, so different. Ginger tea without milk is beneficial. To make this, boil ginger pieces in a cup of water and drink it after filtering. Apart from this, chamomile tea and green tea also show good effect.
9) You can use cloves for sore throat in many ways. It can be chewed plain, you can consume it by adding cloves in hot water or you can make herbal tea of cloves. To make clove herbal tea, boil cloves in a cup of water and add half a teaspoon of honey, filter and drink.
10) Hot or roasted garlic keeps you away from cold and also shows good effect in removing sore throat. It has anti-microbial properties which show good effect in removing these viral infections.
11) Drinking turmeric mixed with milk is very beneficial in sore throat. It also cures sore throat and provides relief. Turmeric milk has natural antibiotic properties.
12) Apple vinegar is very beneficial in eliminating bacteria born from sore throat. Mixing one spoon of apple vinegar in your herbal tea and drinking and gargling with one spoon of vinegar in water can also cure the problem of cough.
13) Basil decoction is very beneficial for sore throat. To make it, boil water in a vessel on high flame. On the other hand, grind cloves, black pepper and cinnamon in a mixer. Now put this ground spice in a vessel and boil it along with some basil leaves.
14) Take a few stalks of Giloy and put them in a glass of water. Boil the water till it reduces to half of its original quantity. Then with the help of a sieve, filter the decoction in a vessel. Drink this hot mixture regularly in the morning. Giloy plays an important role in curing cough and sore throat. Follow this best home remedy for sore throat regularly and strictly to treat sore throat at home. Giloy has top-notch properties that reduce inflammation of the throat and provide relief from pain.
15) Take some mint leaves along with a piece of mashed ginger and some lemon grass and boil all these ingredients in two glasses of water till the water reduces to half of its initial quantity. After boiling, filter this liquid through a sieve and pour it into a glass. Whenever you feel cough and sore throat, take this decoction. Drink this mixture when it is hot or lukewarm. Follow this best home remedy for sore throat regularly and strictly to treat sore throat at home. Ginger is very helpful in reducing the swelling and pain in the body due to sore throat.
16) Take a piece of alum and mix it well in a glass of water. Boil this water for 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Gargling with this water regularly twice a day reduces pain and provides relief from sore throat. Alum has high medicinal properties that help in curing sore throat.
17) Take a spoonful of whole coriander and a piece of ginger, and crush them. Add this material to water and boil the water for 5 to 6 minutes. Filter this liquid in a glass and add one or two tablespoons of honey to it. Drink this decoction at least twice a day. Follow this home remedy to treat sore throat at home. It plays an important role in curing sore throat at home.
18) Take one teaspoon each of turmeric powder and carom seed powder and mix them in a glass of lukewarm water. Consume this mixture regularly twice a day. This concoction has high medicinal properties and consumption of this drink helps in maintaining the balance of the body. Follow home remedies for sore throat regularly for beneficial treatment at home. If the cause of sore throat is acid reflux or GERD, try this home remedy.
19) Make a paste by grinding some cloves of garlic. Take one tablespoon of garlic paste with one or two teaspoons of honey, and mix them well to make a good home remedy. Consume this mixture twice a day regularly to reduce swelling and sore throat. Follow this best home remedy for sore throat. This is one of the effective home remedies for sore throat.
20) Take a few basil leaves and a piece of turmeric and mix them in a glass of water. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes to 10 minutes and then pour it back into a glass of water. Gargle with this warm water for at least 5 minutes every two hours. Do it regularly to treat sore throat at home. Basil leaves are one of the best herbs in Ayurveda to relieve the problem of sore throat, basil leaves clear the throat and remove phlegm.
Frequently Asked Question
When to see a doctor ?
If your sore throat is more than a week old, doesn’t get better on its own, doesn’t respond to home remedies, or is getting worse, you should immediately see an experienced ear, nose, and throat doctor. ENT specialist should be consulted. Based on your symptoms, with the help of some tests, the doctor can find out the exact cause of sore throat and start treatment accordingly to overcome your problem. It is not advisable to ignore a sore throat or rely on home remedies for a long time.
What gets rid of sore throat fast?
Gargling with salt water is a simple natural remedy to reduce the swelling of the throat tissues. It also kills unwanted bacteria in the throat. Follow home remedies for sore throat to reduce swelling and pain.
How long does sore throat last?
Sore throat lasts for three-five days in case of viral infection and for more than ten days for bacterial infection
When should you see a doctor for a sore throat?
The sore throat associated with the virus subsides in five days. If a throat infection is not accompanied by any symptoms of a cold, you should visit your doctor. Bacterial infections require antibiotic treatment. Your doctor will treat you with antibiotics.
Why do I have a sore throat but no other symptoms?
If you have a throat infection without other cold symptoms, it may be a bacterial infection.
How to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection in sore throat?
A sore throat without other cold symptoms may be a bacterial infection. This requires antibiotic treatment. Viral infection causes sore throat along with fever, cough and other flu-like symptoms. Throat infections due to allergies will last for a long time without any symptoms. Throat swabs can help diagnose a bacterial infection.
Recommended Articles :
- Stomach Pain | Types, Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Eye Flu (Conjunctivitis) | Types, Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies