What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) ?
Do you have frequent abdominal pain, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes constipation, and sometimes you are troubled by the problem of bloating, then you may be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is a gastrointestinal disorder characterized by uncomfortable symptoms like bloating and constipation. Irritable bowel syndrome is a type of gastrointestinal disorder that can affect everyday activities. Many people suffer from this problem occurring in the large intestines. However, if its symptoms are recognized at the right time and treatment is started, then this problem can be got rid of quickly.
Irritable bowel syndrome is a disease of the intestines, characterized by abdominal pain, discomfort and difficulty in passing stools, it is also known by the names like spastic colon, irritable colon, mucus colitis. It does not spoil the intestines but starts showing signs of damage. Not only does the person feel physical discomfort, but his entire lifestyle gets affected. This disease affects women more than men. IBS affects at least 10-15 percent of adults.
There are many causes of irritable bowel syndrome. Contractions in the muscles of the intestine The wall of our intestine is made up of a layer of muscles. When we eat, these muscles contract during the process of sending food to the digestive system, but when the muscles contract more than usual, gas starts to form in the stomach and bloating occurs due to which the intestine becomes weak. and is unable to send food to the digestive system. Due to this, the person starts getting diarrhea and there is a problem of IBS.
In most patients, this problem is more during times of stress. Adrenal glands usually secrete hormones called adrenaline and cortisol when there is stress. Due to stress, irritation starts in the entire digestive system, which causes inflammation in the digestive tract and as a result of all this, the body’s use of nutrients decreases. Hormonal changes in women can also be caused by irritable bowel syndrome. In many women, this problem increases around the days of menstruation. This problem can arise due to sensitive colon or weak immunity. Sometimes a bacterial infection in the stomach can also cause irritable bowel syndrome. Symptoms of IBS are caused by damage to the intestines caused by mild celiac disease.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBS symptoms vary from person to person. Let us tell you that blood in the stool is not a symptom of IBS. With irritable bowel syndrome, you may notice the following symptoms :
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Mucus in stool
- Back ache
- Decrease in energy
- Urinary problems
- Abdominal distension
- Difficulty passing stools,
- Stomach upset,
- Swelling of hands and feet,
- Laziness, irritability,
- Sour burps
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
If these symptoms persist continuously, then the mood of the person is also affected. Sometimes a person suffering from irritable bowel syndrome also suffers from anxiety, depression. However, very few people show serious symptoms.
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
There can be many reasons for having irritable bowel syndrome such as :
- Wrong diet.
- Excessive stress or symptoms of depression.
- Genetic cause.
- Fried or spicy food.
- Bacterial imbalance in the gut.
- Muscle contractions in the intestines.
- Having abnormalities in the nerves of the digestive system.
- Increase in small intestine bacteria.
- Foods that cause digestive problems.
- Bacterial infection of the digestive tract.
In some patients, the problem is aggravated by the consumption of a certain type of food, such as chocolate, cauliflower, milk, beans, alcohol, gas-rich drinks, chocolates, tea and coffee, processed snacks, fatty foods, fried foods, causes gas formation in the stomach, due to which the stomach More tension is generated and the stool becomes hard. Due to this pain starts in the stomach and food is not digested easily. As a result, the number of immune system cells in a person’s gut increases. For this reason, there is pain in the stomach and due to the increase in the number of bacteria or viruses in the intestine, the movement starts in the stomach, due to which the person gets the problem of irritable bowel syndrome.
Diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
To diagnose irritable bowel syndrome, the doctor may recommend a variety of tests after self-examination :
1) Physical Test :
To find out about irritable bowel syndrome, the doctor first examines the body. At this time they can check how much the stomach is bloated by pressing the stomach with their hand. Along with this, you can also listen to the sounds inside the stomach with a stethoscope.
2) Blood Test :
The doctor may also recommend a blood test after a physical exam to diagnose IBS. For this, a blood sample will have to be taken and given to the laboratory. This can tell whether a person has IBS or not.
3) Stool Test :
A stool sample is require for this test. From the stool sent to the lab, it is ascertained whether the person has a problem related to the infection or not and how serious the problem is.
4) Other Investigations :
Some other diagnostic procedures can also be use to diagnose IBS, including these.
i) Colonoscopy :
This test can check for colon cancer or inflammatory bowel disease, which explains irritable bowel syndrome and its causes.
ii) Hydrogen Breathe Test :
This test detects an overgrowth of small intestinal bacteria or digestive problems such as lactose intolerance.
iii) Upper GI Endoscopy and Biopsy :
This test can detect celiac disease, which is causing IBS. Let us tell you that celiac disease is a problem related to digestion.
Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- In case of irritable bowel syndrome, doctors diagnose this disease through a blood test.
- Doctors may recommend different medicines for different symptoms of IBS. If this problem is associated with symptoms such as diarrhea or constipation, then for this the doctor may prescribe a dose of antibiotics and laxatives that soften the stool. At the same time, if this condition is associated with abdominal pain, then the doctor may prescribe medications such as antispasmodics and antidepressants depending on the cause of the pain.
- Doctors may also recommend taking probiotics to treat IBS. Probiotics are a type of microorganism, which are also usually present in the digestive system. It can provide relief from IBS by improving digestion.
- Mental health is also responsible for having irritable bowel syndrome. In such a situation, stress can be reduced by adopting therapy for this, which can help in reducing this problem.
Ways to Prevent Irritable Bowel Syndrome
To avoid irritable bowel syndrome, it is important to avoid its causes. To avoid this, you can adopt these methods :
- You can take the help of a therapist to relieve stress, anxiety and depression caused by irritable bowel syndrome.
- To keep the digestive system better, you can consume a diet rich in fiber. This will keep the digestive system better and IBS can be avoid.
- Anti-bacterial foods can be taken to avoid bacterial infection in the digestive system.
- Wash hands thoroughly before eating.
- Maintain cleanliness around you. Avoid contamination of food.
- Always eat freshly prepared food and always keep the leftover food covered.
- Do not eat stale or food that has been left uncovered or stored in the freezer for a long time.
- Do Ardha Matsyendrasana, Jata Parvarti Shavasana, Pawanmukta Asana, Anulom-Vilom Pranayama, yoga and meditation to chant Om.
- You can consume herbs which have antimicrobial properties like turmeric, aloevera, neem, basil etc. to get rid of this disease.
- To cure this disease, you have to improve your gut health, for which you should consume curd so that the amount of good bacteria increases in the body.
- To improve stool quality, you should consume fiber rich diet so that your stools are normal and the symptoms of diarrhea end.
- Reduce stress, even moderate stress can cause symptoms of IBS and give up the habit of controlling stool or urine for a long time so that it does not become a problem.
Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
1) After taking out the kernels of the dates, wash 5-7 dates thoroughly with clean water and take 300 ml. Mix it with milk and cook on the flame for 8-10 minutes. When the dates melt, take the milk down from the fire and eat the dates after chewing them a lot and drink hot milk from above. It is not only a powerful superpower tonic, besides this use is also beneficial in constipation, tuberculosis, dry cough, asthma, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. By consuming it, weight increases, the stomach and heart get strength. It cures many diseases of chest and stomach. Take it daily in the morning or at night before going to bed for 2-3 weeks to 40 days as per requirement.
2) Mix fenugreek, carom seeds, mustard seeds and salt and take it with 2 sips of water twice a day, it cures irritable bowel syndrome.
3) Make a tablet after grinding 3 cloves of carom seeds in water, it is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
4) Taking dry powder of dry ginger and Kaudi Bhasma (Karpadika) in equal quantity provides relief in irritable bowel syndrome.
5) 3 masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) Kaudi Bhasma 7 masha honey and a little salt, taking it, it is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
6) Add salt to sour whey and drink it daily, it ends irritable bowel syndrome.
7) Taking powder of peepal mixed with jaggery in the form of a tablet is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
8) Taking 10 grams powder of white musli mixed with whey daily ends irritable bowel syndrome.
9) Roast the unripe fruit of the bael in the fire and keep it. Irritable bowel syndrome ends by eating 2 tola (1 Tola is equal to 11.7 g) kernels mixed with sugar.
10) Taking raw bael kernels, powdered dry ginger and whey together is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
11) Grind the blossom of mango tree in the amount of 3 mashes and eat it with stale water, it ends irritable bowel syndrome.
12) Taking 6 masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) dates mixed with 2 tola (1 Tola is equal to 11.7g) cow’s curd, it is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
13) Tragacanth Gum (Katiragond) 6 Masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) 125 ml Soak it in water overnight and filter it in the morning and drink it after mixing 1 tola (1 Tola is equal to 11.7g) of sugar, it is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
14) Grind 3 masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) black cumin seeds and pomegranate leaves in water and take, it is beneficial in bloody irritable bowel syndrome.
15) Taking dry ginger, chilli, peepal and rock salt mixed with whey ends irritable bowel syndrome of phlegm and bad breath.
16) Irritable bowel syndrome is cure by drinking sugar mixed with cow’s whey.
17) Taking infusion of jamun (Java plum) 1-1 tola thrice a day is beneficial in abdominal cramps and irritable bowel syndrome.
18) All types of diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome are cured by taking rice-filled opium and saffron mix with honey and given to the patient.
19) Make a powder by taking equal quantity of raw and roasted amla (gooseberry) and keep it safe. Irritable bowel syndrome ends by eating it mixed with curd in the amount of tola (1 Tola is equal to 11.7g).
20) Make a powder by taking equal quantity each of chavya, cheetah, dry ginger and belgiri. This powder is beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome.
21) Make a powder of equal parts of cheetah root bark, black pepper and rock salt and keep it safe. Irritable bowel syndrome and other diseases of the stomach are eradicated by taking it twice a day (in the morning) in the amount of 3-3 masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams).
22) Take 4 grams raw alum and sangjarahat bhasma. Grind alum finely and mix it with sangjarahat ash and make it one. (This is the quantity) Put a pudding in the mouth and give milk to the patient from above. The patient will feel that I am getting benefit from the first dose itself. The patient will get complete benefit in 5-7 doses. Allow the patient to drink only milk during the experiment and keep away from all other food items.
23) Soak 10 grams gooseberry (aavla) in water. When the gooseberry becomes soft, grind it and add some black salt and make balls the size of wild plum. IBS, diarrhea, dysentery, etc., go away by sucking this 1 tablet in the morning and evening.
24) Make a powder by taking equal quantity each of Triphala, Sanay leaves and black salt. After that, mix lemon juice and make a tablet and keep it safe. Taking this tablet twice a day in the morning and evening is beneficial in all types of irritable bowel syndrome and in new and chronic IBS.
25) Take 100 grams of Pathanilodh, duly grind it and keep it safe after sifting it. It should be consume in the amount of 6-6 grams with fresh whey of cow thrice a day (whey should be prepared at the same time every time and water should not be mixed in it and roast cumin seeds and rock salt should be mixed in the whey). It is very good medicine for irritable bowel syndrome.
26) Grind 100 grams of mango kernels. Taking 6-6 grams of it mixed with curd or buttermilk thrice a day cures chronic IBS.
27) Take 10 grams of white resin and 20 grams of desi cod and mix it a lot. Taking it in the amount of 5-5 grams in the morning and evening with cold water in the morning and evening provides relief in irritable bowel syndrome within 2 days.
28) Peppermint oil is most commonly refer to in indigestion and IBS pain. Apart from eliminating abdominal pain, it is helpful in releasing bloating and gas. It also helps in ending the problem of indigestion.
29) Ginger oil helps in vomiting, indigestion, gas and bloating. Ginger oil gets rid of all these problems quickly. This oil is also useful in eliminating tension and headache. Adding a few drops of lemon to ginger oil can be use in many treatments.
30) Oregano oil is helpful in eradicating inflammation caused by IBS. This oil works faster than the supplement. Oregano oil is also helpful for keeping a happy mood. Oregano oil is also helpful in reducing abdominal bloating, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas release etc.
31) Fennel has the power to absorb pain, which is helpful in curing pain sooner than delay. Apart from getting rid of IBS pain, it is also helpful in problems like constipation, gas and digestion. Fennel proves to be very effective in treating diarrhea. It can always be chew in small amounts after eating.
32) Mix a pinch of asafetida and cumin in buttermilk and consume it. There will be benefit in gas of irritable bowel syndrome.
33) If you are constantly troubled by irritable bowel syndrome, then take black pepper and black salt – both with 3–3 grams of whey, it will give quick relief.
34) Dissolve the powder of myrobalan and a little black salt in water well. Then drink it in the morning and evening. This yoga is beneficial in constipation irritable bowel syndrome.
35) Drinking a decoction of ginger, basil, black pepper and cloves provides relief in the nuisances of Vataja Irritable Bowel Syndrome, such as abdominal gas, stress.
36) Make a powder by grinding myrobalan bark, peepal, dry ginger and black salt in the amount of 10 grams each. Take half a teaspoon of this powder with whey. Taking the powder for 15 days starts getting benefits in Vataja IBS.
37) Take 4 grams of pippali with lemon juice and rock salt. This is the best way to wake up hunger.
38) Grind equal quantity of asafoetida, carom seeds and dry ginger. Take one spoonful of this powder with hot water in the morning and evening after meals.
39) Take half a teaspoon of dry ginger powder mixed with a little sugar candy. It acts as an appetite suppressant in IBS.
40) Taking the powder of cumin, asafoetida and carom seeds mixed with vegetables provides relief in the indigestion of IBS.
Ayurvedic Treatment & Medicines for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Mix equal quantity of Haritaki + Shunthi + Pippali + Chitrak. Take 3 to 6 grams with buttermilk in the morning and evening.
- Soak triphala churna in 1 glass of water. Drink this water on an empty stomach.
- Before eating with Hingvasak churna + 1 tsp ghee + water.
- 3 grams isabgol + lukewarm water = mix equal quantity of cinnamon + dry ginger + cumin at bedtime. Take 1 to 2 grams with honey 2 or 3 times a day.
- Gulkand or Bilwadi Avaleh + Milk. 2 times a day after eating 1 tsp.
- Drink 20 to 30 ml decoction on an empty stomach of Nagarmotha + Saunth + Atish + Giloy.
- Take 1 to 2 spoons of cow’s ghee twice a day on an empty stomach, such as Dadim Ghrita, Chitrak Ghrita, Shunthi Ghrita, Ashphal Ghrita, and Cow’s Ghee.
- Mix jaggery in bael kernel powder + dry ginger powder. Take 1 to 2 grams twice a day.
- Take 1 to 2 capsules of Brahmi and Shankhpushpi capsules twice a day after meals.
Diet Plan for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
What To Eat ?
People who have the problem of IBS may have problems like burning in the stomach, pain, indigestion. If you make some changes in the diet then you can get rid of this problem. Know how your diet plan should be if you have IBS :
- Consume 8 glasses of water daily.
- In the morning you can eat egg and a bowl of fruit.
- Before noon you can eat a fruit like orange, pomegranate, banana etc.
- In lunch, you eat buttermilk and vegetables with brown rice.
- For breakfast, you can have murmura or chana chaat.
- In the night you consume soup with a bowl of salad.
- Drink butter milk or whey, lukewarm water.
- Increase their use of ginger, fennel, cumin, clove, cardamom, pomegranate, banana, bael, water chestnut, old rice, jowar, gourd, taurai, moong.
- Lentil soup, vegetable soup, radish soup, drink this soup.
- At this time fiber-rich foods should be consume such as oats and oat-rich foods.
What Not To Eat ?
People who have irritable bowel syndrome need to change their diet to get relief from its symptoms. In such a situation, avoid taking these foods or limit their quantity.
- Limit fruits such as apples, blackberries, apricots, cherries, mangoes, pears, plums and watermelon.
- Do not consume artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower and mushrooms among vegetables.
- Avoid dairy products like milk and milk products, soft cheeses, curd, custard and ice cream.
- Avoid taking wheat and rye as well.
- Honey, which contains high fructose syrup, should also not be include in the diet.
- Avoid wheat, urad, rajma, peas, jaggery, sour, mawa, sweets, milk, betel nut, non-veg, smoking, oily food, canned food, etc.
When to Contact Doctor ?
If you see the following problems due to irritable bowel syndrome, then definitely go to the doctor:
- Weight loss
- Nocturnal diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding
- Iron deficiency, anemia
- Have trouble swallowing
- Vomiting without reason
- Persistent abdominal pain even after having a bowel movement or passing gas.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment