What is Underweight ?
An effective personality matters a lot in the age of modernity and competition. An attractive body can attract anyone, for which it is very important to stay fit. It has been seen that along with obesity, the leanness of the body affects the personality badly. Especially, it has become a matter of concern among the youth. Most people work hard to lose weight. But some people also try to gain weight. As easy as it sounds to gain weight, the reality is different. If you are also trying to gain weight, then you can understand the difficulty in this. When the body becomes obese, the chances of suffering from many diseases increase. Similarly, a very thin body is also a sign of being unhealthy. A more weakened body may become diseased sooner than a healthy body.
Common reasons for not gaining weight include stress levels, unhealthy eating habits, irregular diet, lack of physical fitness and genetics. To gain weight, the diet plan should be followed with some things in mind. But apart from this, there are some basic things, which can help in increasing weight. Often thin people take many measures to increase their weight or become fat, but they do not get complete success. Due to thinness, people start facing many problems or they have to face embarrassment. If you are also troubled by thinness and have tried everything, then this article can solve your problem. You can do the home remedies mentioned here to gain weight or become fat.
What is Weight Gain ?
The increase in body weight is called weight gain. When a person’s physical activity is less than the calories consumed by him, then weight gain occurs. It is caused by the accumulation of fat or excess fluid in the body. Normally weight gain is not a problem.
Causes of Weight Loss
Before knowing about home remedies for weight gain, you should know the reasons why you are underweight. People who are sick or the elderly are at higher risk of being underweight. There can be many reasons for the loss of weight, some of which are as follows :
Common Causes :
- Stomach problems (like diarrhea, pain, vomiting etc)
- Eating disorder
- More physical activity
- Lack of nutrition
- Loss of appetite
- Prolonged exposure to infections such as diarrhea.
- Side effects of medicines
Due to Diseases :
People start losing weight due to the following disease :
1) Type 1 diabetes :
Weight loss is also caused by type 1 diabetes.
2) Depression or stress :
In depression, the person’s weight increases, but sometimes there is irritability and loss of appetite in the person, due to which the weight decreases.
3) Hormonal disorders :
In hormonal disorders, the adrenal glands produce an insufficient amount of hormones. Due to this there is a reduction in weight. It can happen in people of all ages.
4) Inflammatory Bowel Disease :
In this, there is inflammation in the intestines, due to which there is pain in the stomach, and the person does not feel hungry. This leads to gradual weight loss.
5) Trouble in the small intestine :
When the intestine is unable to absorb essential nutrients from food, this condition is called malabsorption. Due to this also the weight does not increase, but it starts decreasing.
6) Rheumatoid Arthritis :
Weight does not increase even after having arthritis, but it does decrease. This disease occurs in women of 30-50 years. It is an inflammatory disease, in which the body’s energy fluctuates.
7) Thyroid problems :
In hypothyroidism, the thyroid gland becomes overactive. Due to this the metabolic process of the body gets accelerated. Due to this also weight loss starts.
8) Having stomach ulcer problem :
Ulcers cause severe pain in the stomach and aversion to food. Weight loss occurs due to lack of food.
9) Tuberculosis :
TB There is an infectious disease, in which the person’s appetite decreases, metabolic activity also becomes sluggish. In this the weight of the person decreases rapidly.
10) Cause of Cancer :
Due to cancer, cancer cells in the body need a lot of energy to grow, so there may be a problem of weight loss.
Causes of Weight Gaining
Weight gain starts due to these reasons :
- Due to hormonal imbalance.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Habit of eating something or the other again and again.
- Due to thyroid related problem (Hypothyroidism).
- depression. Under high stress, a person gets used to eating more food.
- Consumption of more oily, fatty and stale food, junk food, food containing preservatives.
- Eating more food but having a sedentary lifestyle. If you consume large amounts of, or fatty, food but have to sit all day long, your weight can increase rapidly.
Diet to Gain Weight
To gain weight, your diet should be like this :
- Give preference to carbohydrates and fatty foods in the diet.
- Use butter and ghee in your food.
- Consume dry fruits and fatty milk.
- Divide your diet into five parts. Eat sweet fruits for breakfast and in between meals. Drink a shake made of banana and milk in the evening.
- Curd, cottage cheese, soybean etc. are also helpful in increasing weight.
Lifestyle to Gain Weight
To gain weight, your lifestyle should be like this :
- Have food on time.
- Chew food slowly.
- Avoid waking up in the night, and get enough sleep of 7-8 hours.
- Avoid excessively stressful lifestyle.
- Do Pranayam, morning walk and yoga regularly in the morning.
- Avoid fasting while taking home remedies to get fat.
- Get about 45 minutes to an hour of sleep in the afternoon.
- To gain weight, eat at least 5 to 6 times a day in small amounts and 2 to 3 times in more quantity.
Other Tips to Increase Weight
- Choose a diet beneficial for your health like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, milk products, nuts, protein, fat and calorie-rich foods etc.
- Home remedies for weight gain also include having breakfast daily. If you want to gain weight and stay healthy, then never forget to eat the first meal of your day i.e. breakfast.
- Keep eating almonds and walnuts between breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Do not drink much water before meals, if you drink more water, then you will not be able to eat more food.
- Stay away from smoking, as it can act as an appetite suppressant.
- With the help of a dietician, you can follow a diet chart.
- Fluids also play an important role in weight gain, but it does not mean that you start drinking coffee, soda etc. Choose healthy smoothies and shakes.
- Water is also necessary to gain weight. Don’t let the lack of water in your body. Do not drink water while eating. Drink water 30 minutes before or after meals.
- Include green vegetables in your diet. Green vegetables contain essential nutrients for the body, which provide normal weight by giving the necessary nutrition.
- Rice is an easily available and inexpensive carbohydrate source that helps you to become fat and gain weight. Just one cup of cooked rice contains 190 calories, 3 grams of carbohydrates and very little fat. If you feel less hungry then eating rice will also open your appetite.
Home Remedies for Weight Gain
How to gain weight at home?, Some home remedies also help a lot in weight gain. You can try these remedies at home anytime, which can prove to be very effective. These can help you gain weight without affecting your daily lifestyle. Let us know that best home remedies for weight gain.
1) You can eat bananas as a medicine for obesity. Eat at least three to four bananas a day. Banana is nutritious and full of nutrients. It can be eaten with milk or curd. It helps in increasing the weight. Have banana shake instead of morning/evening tea. If needed, also add a spoonful of peanut butter. Include this shake in the diet according to your calories in the morning and evening.
2) Boil three to four almonds, dates and figs and put them in milk. After boiling well, if the milk is lukewarm, drink it every day before sleeping. It is ayurvedic medicine for obesity.
3) Take honey with milk every day in breakfast, and before sleeping at night. The use of milk and honey as a medicine for obesity gives excellent benefits. It increases weight and digestion power is also fine.
4) Soak 10 grams of raisins in milk for about four hours. Boil this milk before sleeping. When it is lukewarm, drink milk and eat raisins. Raisins strengthen the body, and increase weight rapidly.
5) Bins can be used as a medicine for getting fat. Use more beans in vegetables. Along with being nutritious, it also helps in gaining weight.
6) Take an equal quantity of good quality apples and carrots with peel and grate them. Eat it after lunch. It gives benefit in few weeks.
7) Eat soybean and sprouted grains in breakfast. They contain plenty of protein. It is used as a fattening medicine to strengthen the body and increase weight.
8) Consume fatty milk with oats. Make wheat porridge in fatty milk and eat it. This leads to an increase in weight. This remedy is used as ayurvedic medicine for obesity.
9) Soak the barley and peel it as needed. 60 grams of this barley, 500 g of milk, Make kheer by mixing it in quantity. Eat this breakfast for two months. By consuming this kheer daily for two months, even lean or weak people become obese. This leads to an increase in weight.
10) Include potatoes in your regular diet. Potatoes contain carbohydrates and complex sugars which help in gaining weight. For this, you can eat potatoes in any way, but try not to fry them too much.
11) Almonds are also effective in increasing weight to a great extent. For this, keep 3-4 almonds soaked in water overnight and grind it the next day and drink it after dissolving it in milk. Do this daily for a month, the effect will be visible.
12) Eggs are rich in fat and calories, and if you consume it daily, you will gain weight, but keep in mind that do not forget to eat raw eggs, it can cause serious health problems.
13) Mix one spoon of sugar well in one spoon of ghee (butter). Consume this mixture half an hour before meals. Repeat this process daily for a month. Calories and fat play an important role in increasing body weight. Ghee is enriched with both these nutrients, which will help you in gaining weight.
14) Peanut butter can also increase weight. You can eat it in any way, such as by applying it on bread or with roti. Peanut butter is not only high in calories, but it is also rich in carbohydrates.
15) By drinking pomegranate juice daily, weight increases rapidly.
16) If thin people eat dates with gram, then they gain weight very quickly.
17) If honey is eaten mixed with walnuts, then thin people will soon become fat.
18) Consumption of dried dates also proves effective in increasing weight. So it would be good to consume it daily. Dried dates are rich in many essential minerals, including vitamins A, C, E, K, B2, B6, niacin and thiamine, which are essential for health. They are a good source of protein, sugar, energy and vitamins. When consumed with milk, the process of weight gain gets accelerated. Therefore you can consume milk and dates.
19) Dark chocolate contains antioxidants which are beneficial for health. Experts say that dark chocolate in which the amount of cocoa is 70% is very beneficial for health. Like fatty food, dark chocolate is high in calories, this means that by eating it, your body will get a lot of calories which will be helpful in gaining weight.
20) Eat two ripe mangoes daily. After eating mango, drink warm milk. Within a few days you will start seeing changes in your body.
21) Mix half a teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder in a glass of warm milk and take it before sleeping at night. You can add a small spoon of honey to it for taste. Consuming Ashwagandha in this way regularly will give you good results soon.
22) Soak six dried figs and about 30 grams of raisins in water overnight. The next day you can eat them twice in the morning and evening. Good results can be seen in about 20 to 30 days. Dried figs and raisins are high in calories. About 129 calories are found in 43 grams of raisins. You can consume these dry fruits to get rid of leanness.
23) You can make avocado smoothie, for which you take an avocado and remove its pulp with a spoon. Now add avocado pulp in the grinder and sugar or honey as needed, mix it well and drink. You can start the day with avocado smoothie. Avocado is a special fruit, which is rich in calories and fat. With its regular consumption, your leanness can be removed.
24) Taking a mixture of dried grapes, dates, amla and pomegranate twice a day can help in weight gain.
25) By including ginger, black pepper, garlic, cloves, cardamom etc. in your diet, the digestion process remains correct. Due to which the weight also increases.
Pay Attention :
Gaining weight is not an easy task and there is no fixed way to do it. In some people obesity or underweight is genetic, so if weight is not increasing even through these methods, then do not force and contact the doctor. It is necessary that if the above mentioned measures are done regularly then it will definitely be beneficial.
FAQ Related Weight Gaining
Why do you lose weight ?
According to Ayurveda, the health of each individual depends on the balance of Vata-Pitta-Kapha. Many times the problem of continuous weight loss is seen in the person. Vata and Kapha dosha are the main reasons in this. Due to the increase of Vata and decrease of Kapha in the body, the weight goes on decreasing. The aggravation of Vata is due to the consumption of Vatavardhan diet.
What should we not do to gain weight ?
- Many people eat junk food fiercely in order to gain weight, while this is not right. Do not eat junk food at all. Apart from this, do not eat anything that is not digested.
- Apart from this, many people also take medicines and protein supplements to increase obesity or to gain weight, but it is dangerous from the point of view of health. You will definitely gain weight with medicines, but after this, the problems that will happen in the future, the side effects will not be good.
Do people genetically also have lean bodies ?
Weight loss is sometimes also due to family history (heredity). If the body of the parents is thin, then it is possible that the body of the child will also be thin.
Should the body be considered sick because of being thin ?
Some people do not gain weight even after taking nutritious diet regularly and following home remedies, but they are healthy. So it would be wrong to say that every lean-bodied person is unhealthy.
Is it okay to take medicines to gain weight ?
Nowadays there are many types of medicines available in the market for weight gain, which contain harmful steroids. Due to the use of such medicines, weight increases very fast, but due to this the body becomes a home of diseases. Many serious diseases are caused by the use of steroids.
What is the best way to gain weight ?
Natural remedies should be used to gain weight. The body gets nourishment through home remedies and ayurvedic remedies. Due to this the weight increases naturally. Natural remedies not only increase the weight, but also keep the body strong. He is also mentally and physically healthy.
Is it better to eat non-vegetarian food to gain weight ?
This myth is prevalent in most of the people that the consumption of non-vegetarian food is very important to gain weight, but it is not so. Non-vegetarian food has tamasic properties. This may increase the weight of the person, but it makes the person of gross and tamasic qualities. All the nutrients are present in vegetarian diet instead of meat. It is no less beneficial than non-vegetarian in weight gain. Vegetarian diet keeps a person healthy both mentally and physically. Weight can be easily increased by consuming only vegetarian diet.
What could be the reason for not getting benefit from the above remedy?
In most of the cases these measures prove to be very beneficial. If a person takes into account the reasons for the loss of weight and does not improve them and follows the measures to increase the weight properly, then there is definitely an increase in weight.
When should I consult a doctor if there is no weight gain ?
If a person’s weight starts decreasing suddenly, and the weight is not increasing even after adopting home remedies and proper diet, then the doctor should be contact. It can be a sign of some disease.
Which bread (roti) causes weight gain ?
If you are underweight, then you should eat whole grain rotis. Wheat, gram, millet rotis are effective in increasing weight. Whatever flour is use, it is least process then it has more effect.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment