What is Anorexia (Distaste) ?
Anorexia Nervosa is a serious mental health condition characterized by an intense fear of gaining weight, leading to severe restrictions in food intake, often resulting in extreme thinness and malnutrition. Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by an unusually low body weight, an intense fear of gaining weight and a deterioration in body image. This disorder often begins with the person’s inability to cope with many emotional issues. They think that by losing weight and becoming very thin, they can deal with it and feel good about themselves. To achieve this, they drastically reduce the amount of food they eat, regularly skip diets, and at a later stage stop eating for several days. Even when they eat, there is a feeling of guilt in their mind even in eating a very small amount and that much.
Over time, this behavior and thinness of control becomes an obsession. Their weight starts falling which is not the average weight of a person of their age or height. They are also dissatisfied with their body image and appearance, so even if they clearly appear underweight, they still feel that they are still overweight, they are overweight.
Anorexia is not a lifestyle choice as many mistakenly assume. This disorder arises from the person’s inability to cope with the deep emotional stresses and deteriorated negative self-image. There is a deep fear of gaining weight in them. It is a serious disease with severe physical symptoms but with proper treatment it can be controlled and a healthy life can be restored.
When there is a malfunction in our stomach or the digestive system does not work properly, then there is a problem of anorexia, due to which we do not feel hungry and do not even feel like eating anything. When this problem goes on for a long time, then hunger stops. At such a time, no matter how good and nutritious food is given to the patient, he does not feel like eating it. This feeling is called loss of appetite or anorexia.
Symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa
1) Dislike :
When someone has a problem of anorexia, he does not feel like eating anything and if someone is forced to eat, then he cannot eat more than one or two grams. If the patient is constipated, he does not feel like eating anything.
2) Burping :
When someone has anorexia, he starts having sour and sour belching without eating or drinking anything, the stomach feels full and the mouth is filled with water.
3) Being Tired :
Due to not eating anything, weakness comes in the body and in such a situation, if work and stairs are climbed, then there is a lot of tiredness. In such a situation, the weight of the patient decreases and restlessness starts. The patient’s body gradually starts drying up. Weakness in hair and nails, yellowing of the skin, swollen joints, tooth loss, thinning hair on the body, etc. are due to distaste.
4) Anemia :
When anemia occurs due to loss of blood, but if anemia is not treated early, then the patient reaches near death.
5) Weight :
Rapid weight loss for several weeks but eating limited meals even when the weight is off. More fear of gaining weight, feeling of being fat even after losing weight, wearing loose clothes to hide the reduced weight, etc.
The behavioral traits (symptoms) are as follows :
- Obsessions about the amount and weight of calories in food, a person constantly measures his weight and keeps looking at his shape and size in front of the mirror.
- Not eating food with friends or family, saying that they have eaten or are not hungry.
- Social isolation and increased irritability.
- Too much exercise and excessive use of laxatives to lose weight.
There are many symptoms of anorexia nervosa that can appear in different parts of the body, such as :
- Low blood pressure
- Low body temperature
- Compulsive disorder
- Social isolation
- Weight loss
- Excessive body thinning
- Guilty feeling
- Constipation and vomiting
- Irregular menstruation
- Bad nails
- Dry hair
- Dry skin
- Slowing of heart rate
Types of Anorexia (Distaste)
1) Restricted Distaste :
People suffering from this disease count calories, do not eat food, limit food items and follow the rules in eating like eating same color food. People exercise a lot with these.
2) Excessive Eating Distaste :
People with it restrict food, but it also includes eating a very large amount of abnormal food. To compensate for this food, a person vomits and uses enemas.
Causes of Anorexia Nervosa
The exact cause of anorexia is not known, research suggests that this disorder comes from a combination of psychological, biological and environmental factors. People who are prone to depression and anxiety may develop this disorder as they seek the solution of their worries in such eating tendencies. A person suffering from OCD may also show excessive eating behavior, due to which they weigh each part of the food properly and then eat them by dividing them into equal pieces. In some cases, perfectionism and over-sensitivity can also lead to this disorder.
The exact role of genes is not known in this case but research suggests that the level of serotonin chemical in the brain also has a role Bullying or teasing in school. Even in girls, the pressure of friends can cause this kind of disorder. In today’s era, media and society also play a major role. This misconception that being thin means looking beautiful or that these two things are synonymous, this confusion keeps running in young minds and they start starving themselves.
Reason of Anorexia :
1) Causes of Constipation :
Sometimes people have the problem of constipation, due to which the stool accumulates in their intestines and due to this, there is a malfunction in the digestive system and hunger stops.
2) Reasons for concern :
In today’s time, many people feel more anxiety, fear, anger and nervousness, due to which hunger stops and after staying like this for a few days, hunger stops completely. Such a person becomes disliked even by the smell of good food.
3) Causes of Infection :
When a person gets an infection, he stops feeling hungry and in such a situation he becomes distasteful for food.
4) Due to anemia :
It is often seen that people get anemia due to eating less and less nutritious food which becomes the reason for loss of appetite. Due to excessive loss of blood, there is a problem like anemia, which leads to anorexia. The patient starts feeling disgusted just by looking at the food. The reason shows disinterest in eating food even after preparing the desired food of the patient.
5) Causes of liver failure :
Even when there is a malfunction in the liver due to some reason, people still have the problem of loss of appetite.
6) Massive form of distaste :
When the problem of anorexia becomes severe, it is known as myasthenia.
7) Causes of heat in the stomach :
Many times, due to excessive heat in the stomach, there is a disease of loss of appetite.
Treatment of Anorexia
Anorexia affects both the body and the mind, so it requires a variety of treatments. If a person suffering from anorexia is severely malnourished, he may need to be admitted to the hospital. If he is not underweight or there is no danger to his life, he may be treated as an outpatient. There are three components to the treatment of anorexia :
- If patients are suffering from any serious health crisis due to eating disorder, then first the disease which has arisen from the disorder is treated.
- They are given nutritional treatment so that their body weight returns to normal and they are also given nutritional information and instructions to maintain this healthy weight.
- They may also need counseling and therapy so that they can remove the fear of gaining weight from their mind.
- The team of experts do the treatment together. In many cases, the family may also be involved in the healing process.
10 Effective Home Remedies for Anorexia Nervosa (Distaste)
1) Eating one radish every day in the afternoon after applying black pepper and salt continuously (eat for at least one month) provides relief in constipation, bloating and anorexia. By doing this experiment continuously for 4-5 months, the hair becomes long and their color is also bright and clear.
Note : The consumption of radish is not favorable for anyone. Therefore, continue the experiment only if the radish is favorable.
2) Take 12 grams of fennel, 6 grams of white cumin, grind both of them finely and mix 12 grams of sugar in it and keep it safe in a vial. Taking one gram each in the morning and evening continuously for 10-15 days ends anorexia (hatred of food) and vomiting after meals. Not only this, many diseases related to stomach like colic, colic, flatulence etc. also get away.
3) Take 1-2 grams of peeled ginger slices 10-15 minutes before the meal, after eating, or after eating chopped tomatoes with black or rock salt or by grinding 4-5 seeds without seeds or mashing them a little. After eating by mixing black or rock salt or by sprinkling black salt or black pepper ground on half a slice of lemon, keeping it on a tawa (cookery) on a low fire, heat it slightly (when the lemon starts smelting) by sucking it slowly from the mouth. Taste improves and one starts feeling hungry, that is, anorexia disappears.
4) After eating 250 grams of buttermilk, adding roasted cumin, rock salt and taking it both times ends anorexia and increases digestion power.
5) Due to distaste, people do not eat food, due to which they stop feeling hungry and they reach the state of death. In such a situation, the patient should take lemon because lemon is sour and it prevents sour-sour belching. You cut the lemon into two halves. After cutting the lemon, take some black salt and sprinkle black salt on the lemon and lick it. Licking lemon juice cures loss of appetite.
6) Those who have a disease of loss of appetite, they should consume oranges. If you have anorexia, then take a glass of orange juice and add salt and ground black pepper to it and drink it. By doing this the problem of loss of appetite gets cured.
7) To reduce the problem of anorexia, you can drink honey mixed with black salt in pomegranate juice. By drinking this juice, the problem of anorexia will end and the patient will feel openly hungry.
8) Consumption of bitter gourd is very beneficial for people who have stomach related problems because bitter gourd contains many nutrients that help in removing stomach problems. Feeding bitter gourd vegetable to a person suffering from anorexia for 7 days ends digestion problems and increases appetite.
9) Those who are not interested in eating, they should consume cow’s ghee mixed with dry ginger powder, this increases your interest in food and at the same time your digestive system is also fine. Consumption of cow’s ghee helps us to overcome stomach problems.
10) People who have problems with loss of appetite should drink carrot juice because the consumption of carrots helps in increasing the blood. Take carrot juice mixed with ground black pepper and salt. The problem of anorexia ends with the consumption of this juice.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Anorexia
1) Trikatu Medicine :
Trikatu is a traditional Ayurvedic formulation use to treat stomach problems. It consists of a mixture of peepli, black pepper and ginger. Make a paste by mixing a little water and honey in the powder of this mixture and consume it. With its regular consumption, you will feel hungry as well as get rid of anorexia nervosa.
2) Alfalfa Tonic :
This grass-like herb is used in Ayurveda as well as in Chinese medicine. It can be consumed in the form of tea or tincture. Alfalfa is a very good medicine to increase appetite. Along with this, it also treats stomach problems. It can also be taken as a supplement. It is very beneficial for thin people.
What to Eat In Anorexia
- In food, you can eat bran flour loaves, old rice rice, milk, lemon, grapes, mango, pomegranate, watermelon, ripe plum, radish, seasonal, lemon, chilli, pickle, black salt, mint, coriander, moong-lentil That lentils, properly boiled rice etc. can be eaten.
- If you are a non-vegetarian then you can also take fish broth which is very beneficial.
- The patient suffering from this disease should be given light and tasty food.
- In case of distaste, swimming in water, morning and evening walks, exercise and body massage etc. should be done.
- It is also good to give fruits or their juices to the patient and eat fresh and green vegetables.
What Do Not Eat In Anorexia
- Rotten, rich food, food made in ghee and oil and stale things should not be eaten.
- Dirty water should not be drunk.
- One should not go near dirty and dirty places and things when there is distaste.
- Keep away from sunlight and fire.
- One should not sit in one place for a long time after having food.
- In such a situation, the patient should not feel much anger or fear.
Prevention Tips for Anorexia
- To remove mental stress, you can listen to music or do the work in which you get pleasure for relaxing your mind.
- Do not set such expectations in life which may cause misery for you in future. Always live in reality.
- Set your own diet chart in which all the essential nutrients are present.
- Do not sit with a lot of food for a meal, but eat little by little at least 5 times a day.
- Avoid junk food and carbonated drinks.
- Do yoga regularly every day and exercise for at least one hour.
- If you want to take out time for meditation regularly, even if you want to cut down on this exercise time.
- Take good night sleep for 7 to 8 hours daily. Do not sleep immediately after having your meal at night and always get up before sunrise.
Who is at risk for developing Anorexia Nervosa?
Anyone, regardless of age, gender, or background, can develop Anorexia Nervosa. However, it is more commonly observe in adolescents and young adults, particularly females.
How is Anorexia Nervosa diagnosed?
A diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa is typically made by a mental health professional or a doctor base on a thorough evaluation of physical and psychological symptoms, and medical history.
What are the potential complications of Anorexia Nervosa?
Anorexia Nervosa can lead to a range of serious health issues, including cardiovascular problems, osteoporosis, gastrointestinal complications, and psychiatric disorders like depression and anxiety.
How can I support someone with Anorexia Nervosa?
Offer empathy, encourage them to seek professional help, and avoid making comments about their appearance or food choices. Be patient and understanding, and educate yourself about the condition.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment