In today’s lifestyle, problems like acidity, gas problem, flatulence, bloating have become a very common disease. There is only one root reason for this, due to lack of time, people have started living an excessively irregular and unbalanced lifestyle, which directly affects the stomach. The stomach has an inner layer called mucosa. In this layer there are many small glands, which produce stomach acid and an enzyme called pepsin to digest food. Whereas stomach acid digests food, pepsin digests proteins. When there is swelling in this inner layer, then there is a problem of gas in the stomach. Due to this, the production of stomach acid and pepsin starts decreasing and stomach gets upset, flatulence i.e. bloating problem starts.
What is Flatulence (Bloating) ?
Flatulence or bloating is often caused by the buildup of gas in the digestive system. This can occur due to factors like swallowed air, certain foods, gastrointestinal disorders, and bacterial fermentation. Usually the cause of flatulence is the gas produced in the stomach. Due to which the size of the stomach starts increasing. It is also called abdominal swelling. This is usually felt after eating food. This problem occurs when gas gets filled inside the small intestine. Its direct indication is also disturbances in the digestive system. Although it is considered a common problem, but if ignored, this disease can also become serious.
Bloating can occur due to many reasons such as lifestyle disturbances, hormonal imbalance, consumption of stale food, filling of water or fluid in the stomach, constipation, being hungry for a long time or sitting in one place for many hours, when periods come. The physical changes that take place also cause bloating of the stomach. Apart from this, there are many other reasons for over-consumption of medicines or many other reasons which are the reason for bloating. It also has a very bad effect on health, to get rid of it it is very important to recognize the right symptoms.
The problem of flatulence is mostly due to the consumption of fried and spicy food. Due to flatulence, you have trouble in everyday activities. Due to bloating, the stomach feels full and hunger is not detected and neither you are able to enjoy food properly in such a situation. In winter, the problem of gas formation in the stomach, heaviness of the stomach and flatulence usually increases. Due to this you feel very lazy during the day and you feel tired all the time. Sometimes you have to feel embarrassed due to excessive gas formation. These problems increase in winter because our metabolism and digestion usually slows down in winter, due to which heavy food is not easily digested.
Symptoms of Flatulence (Bloating)
The most common symptoms of flatulence are a feeling of fullness and discomfort, but there are other symptoms that need to be understood for proper diagnosis. Symptoms of gas can range from mild burning in the stomach to severe pain. Although mild burning can be ignored, the pain becomes difficult to tolerate. Other symptoms of gas in the stomach are as follows :
- Stomach ache
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Weight event
- Severe headache or weakness
- Frequent gas formation
- Smell when gas is released
- Flatulence and sour belching
- Feeling like vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Frequent hiccups
- Stomach cramps
- Occasional fever
- Change in color of stool or blood in it
The last two symptoms mean that your problem has taken a serious form and it is not right to ignore it.
Causes of Flatulence (Bloating)
The root cause of the problem of flatulence is diet and lifestyle, but to understand this, discussing about it in a little detail will make it easier for you to find out the reason. According to ayurveda, flatulence occurs due to vitiation of vata.
1) Diet :
If there is more gas in your stomach, bloating and feeling of heaviness, then it may be due to your diet. In winter, people often eat more spinach and cabbage. Both these vegetables are very good for health, but they should not be consumed too much, as they can cause gas in the stomach. Apart from this, consumption of gram, gram lentils, beans, foods made from gram flour, maida, kidney beans, chickpeas, etc. also causes gas and bloating in the stomach.
2) Do not lie down immediately after eating :
Some people have a habit that they lie down or fall asleep immediately after eating. Sleeping usually occurs after a meal, but falling asleep too quickly is dangerous for your digestive system and health. This can cause gas, constipation and heaviness in the stomach. Therefore, after eating food, take a walk for a while. If time is short, then definitely walk for at least 15 minutes.
3) Do some exercise :
We eat food every day but do not try to digest it. Usually, if you do not do anything, then some part of the food is digested by the body, but it neither gives you the benefit of the nutrients eaten in the food nor is it good for your digestive system and other organs. Therefore, do exercise for at least 30 minutes every morning. There is no need to do very heavy exercise, if you just walk for 15-20 minutes and do 10-15 minutes of some jumpy exercises, then that is enough for you. If this is also not possible, then try to cycle for 30-40 minutes daily.
4) Drinking water with food :
Often people keep drinking water along with eating food. This habit can also be responsible for the problem of excessive gas formation and bloating. Therefore, do not drink water while eating food or immediately after it. Keep in mind that if you have to drink water, then drink it 30-45 minutes before or 30-45 minutes after meals. With this, your diet will be digested properly and there will be no problem of gas or heaviness in the stomach.
5) Eating dinner late :
Eating late at night also causes gas and heaviness in the stomach. Actually, whenever you eat food late in the night and go to sleep after that, then that food is not digested. This undigested food causes gas, abdominal pain and constipation. This habit can spoil your liver and digestive system in the long run. Always eat dinner 2-3 hours before sleeping.
Apart from this, diet mismatch and some minor mistakes are also due to the problem of flatulence :
- Most of the people make this mistake the most, they do not eat anything to save time in the morning and later do lunch heavy. For this reason, their dinner is also heavy, let us tell you that this is the biggest reason for bloating, so have a fiber-rich breakfast every morning. Due to this you will not feel hungry before time and your stomach will not become bloated.
- Apart from this, many people keep the stomach empty before going to the wedding or party, that is, they do not eat anything, but this should not be done, due to this there is also a problem of bloating.
- Never eat hot curd.
- Ghee kept in a bronze vessel for ten days should not be eaten.
- Fruits, curd, sattu, radish and brinjal should not be eaten at night.
- Do not eat more things made of pickles and vinegar.
- Do not eat sour, spicy, chaat-pakoras, gol-gappe, curd-bhalla, samosas, kachori-chhole-bhature.
- Do not consume hot foods, hot chili-spices and foods made with acidic juices.
- Abandon tea and coffee completely.
- Apart from junk food and fast food, give up soft cold drinks as well.
- Do not eat rice with lentils or roti with lentils, if you eat, then eat plenty of vegetables too.
- Roti should not be eaten with milk or curd.
- You cannot eat curd with milk or should not drink milk after eating curd.
- Banana should not be eaten with milk and curd.
- Radish should not be eaten with milk or curd.
- Hot water or any hot substance should not be taken with honey.
- Radish should not be eaten with honey.
- Kheer should not be eaten with khichdi.
- Melon, cucumber and cucumber should not be eaten with milk.
- Cheese should not be eaten with curd or curd with cottage cheese.
- Vegetables with fruits or fruits should not be eaten after vegetables.
- Sweet potato, potato, kachalu should not be eaten with lentils.
Flatulence From Serious Diseases
Sometimes there can be common causes of abdominal bloating, which include digestive issues, poor diet, gas, stress, taking medications or changing environment. But if every day you feel bloating on the stomach or your stomach remains bloated like a balloon, then be careful. Flatulence of the stomach indicates these serious diseases.
1) Liver problems :
Swelling is also seen on the stomach due to liver failure, due to which the stomach often looks bloated. It can also occur as a result of hepatitis, excessive alcohol consumption, medications, or liver cancer.
2) Intestinal problems :
If the stomach is hard along with bloating and you are also facing problems like vomiting, nausea, constipation, then it can also be due to intestinal disturbances or tumors in the intestine.
3) Stomach cancer :
Although colon cancer is not easily recognized as it does not show symptoms in its early stages, but the bloating of the stomach indicates changes in the internal part. In this condition there is a risk of vomiting, nausea, weight loss and other infections.
4) Pancreatic cancer :
Pancreatic cancer shows the symptoms of jaundice along with swelling on the stomach. It can be quite fatal and you feel loss of appetite, upper abdominal pain along with the continuous loss of weight.
5) Uterine cancer :
In some cases, the symptoms of uterine cancer include bloating or fullness of the stomach. In this condition there is pain in the pelvis or lower abdomen and feeling more full than before. Generally women over the age of 50 or women with serious conditions can be victims of this.
6) Stomach tumor :
The problem of flatulence is common, but when it is accompanied by sudden weight loss, it can be a sign of a tumor in the stomach.
7) Hernia :
If along with flatulence, cough, cold and weight loss start, then it is a sign of hernia disease.
Prevention Tips for Flatulence
By making small changes in your diet and lifestyle, you can easily get rid of the problem of flatulence, if you know about the reasons that increase the problem of flatulence, then try to avoid them, apart from this in your daily routine. By adopting some methods, you can control this problem. If you do these remedies regularly then you will never have the problem of gas.
- You must drink at least eight to ten glasses of water daily. Due to this the digestive system works well and there is no problem of constipation. Our intestines work well when the stomach is clean, so that gas and acidity do not have to be face.
- Eating fried and chili-spicy things causes burning in the stomach and gas starts forming. Therefore, keep a distance from such foods. Also note that eating which thing causes you burning and gas in the stomach. You can make a list of such foods and avoid eating them.
- Keep away from junk food.
- Keep an eye on all the medicines you are taking. If you feel burning and gas in the stomach after taking any of those medicines, then tell the doctor about it. Your doctor may give you another medicine instead.
- Do not consume alcohol, smoking and tobacco at all. These spoil our digestive system, causing gas and acidity. Along with this, their consumption also affects the kidneys and lungs.
- Minimize the consumption of tea and coffee. Their effect is hot, due to which there is a burning sensation in the stomach.
- Do yoga for at least 20-25 minutes every day. Due to this, the internal organs of the stomach work properly and our body is naturally detoxified. You can do Pawanmuktasana, Butterfly Asana, Padahastan, Naukasana and Surya Namaskar etc. under the supervision of a trainer. All these not only remove the problem of gas, but also keep the weight balanced.
- Also, take a walk in the morning and take a walk after dinner at night. Due to this the digestive system remains good and food is also digested quickly.
- Do not drink carbonated drinks and wine, it releases carbon dioxide.
- Do not drink anything through the pipe, but drink directly from the glass.
- Do not eat fried, spicy food.
- Stress is also a major reason for gas formation, try to stay away from it.
- Constipation can also be a reason for this. The longer the food stays in the large intestine, the more gas will be produce.
- Chew the food slowly and eat it.
- Do not sleep immediately after eating mini meals at intervals of a few hours instead of three times a day.
- Take a walk for a while so that digestion is also fine, the stomach does not bloat, eat food at a fixed time to keep your biological clock in balance, carbohydrate-rich food creates more gas.
- Foods rich in fats and proteins produce gas in small amounts.
- If this problem is cause by lactose, then do not take milk and milk products.
- Consume seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce the use of tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks.
- Do not eat junk food and street food.
- Include exercise, yoga in the routine.
- Make a habit of walking.
- Stay away from smoking and alcohol.
- Take more and more fibrous food.
- Sarvangasana, Uttanpadasana, Bhujangasana etc. should be done regularly.
15 Home Remedies for Flatulence
1) Mix 60 grams powder of carom seeds and 10 grams black salt (ground) and keep it safe. Taking 2 grams of this powder with hot water provides relief in flatulence, gastritis and stomach gas. Give half the quantity to the children.
Special: Taking this powder with fresh water is beneficial in anorexia, malaise and indigestion. Apart from this, taking carom seed (ajwain) powder alone with hot water can cause bloating, stomach tension, indigestion, cough, spleen, phlegm, phlegm and many diseases of vata (word Vata means to blow or to move like the wind), stomach problems. It is beneficial in small and big worms (earthworms), stomachache, bloating, air gas, vomiting, piles and infectious diseases. Use continuously for 1-2 weeks as needed.
2) Taking 2 grams of carom seeds and half a gram of black salt (by grinding and mixing) in 125 grams of curd whey after meals is very beneficial in stomach gas, air gas, bloating, constipation etc. Use for 1-2 weeks as needed.
3) Peel 1-2 cloves of garlic and wrap the seeds in dried raisins, chew it after meals, and swallow it, the stagnant air of the stomach comes out in a short time. Apart from this, if there is stiffness in the body due to cold or there is pain in the back, this use is beneficial.
4) Mixing a pinch of black salt in half a gram of carom seeds and taking it with warm water at bedtime kills stomach worms. Adults should mix 4 parts powdered carom seeds with black salt and take 2 grams with warm water. By this use, there is benefit in wind and storm.
5) Taking 1 cup of hot boiling water (as hot as can be drunk) immediately after meals twice a day, sips like tea, reduces body fat and balances the body. In the winter season, using this for 15 days to 2 months as needed, besides obesity, gas, constipation, inflammation of the intestines (colitis), amoebiasis, abdominal worm, enlarged stomach of the woman after delivery, arthritis, joint pain and swelling, stomach It is also beneficial in problems like gas, indigestion, flatulence, constipation, weakness of the stomach and intestines, bloating of the stomach, menstrual irregularities, dark circles under the eyes etc.
6) Taking 6-6 grams each of ginger juice, lemon juice and honey thrice a day provides relief in gas pain.
7) Putting 3 pieces of small myrobalan in the mouth daily and sucking it is also beneficial in gas pain.
8) Take 100 grams of yellow leaves and 10 grams of salt. Make gram-sized tablets after grinding them together and keep them safe by drying them in the shade. Sucking 2-3 tablets daily is very beneficial in gas trouble.
9) Taking 5 grams parsley mixed with 15 grams jaggery ends stomach upset.
10) Drinking broken curd is beneficial in afar.
11) Grind 3 mashed black pepper and 6 mash (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) sugar candy and throw it, the chaos ends. Do not drink water from above.
12) Grind black salt and asafoetida (hing) in onion juice and mix it and drink it, it is beneficial in flatulence and colic.
13) Boiling dhak leaves (butea monosperma) and drinking it is beneficial in bloating and stomachache.
14) Boiling jaggery and fenugreek seeds and drinking it ends the chaos.
15) Keep 250 grams of native carom seeds and 60 grams of black salt in a ceramic or glass vessel. After that pour lemon juice on it in such quantity that both the medicines get soak properly. Then keep this pot in the shade. When the lemon juice dries up, then add lemon juice in the same manner. Repeat this action again 7 times. Then take 2 grams of it with lukewarm water twice a day in the morning and evening. By doing this experiment, almost all the diseases of the stomach are destroyed.
When to see a Doctor ?
One should go to the doctor only in the first stage of the disease.
- When stomach pain does not get better even after taking medicine.
- It hurts even by touching the stomach.
- Air does not come out well from the stomach.
- Have trouble digesting food.
Which foods are common triggers for flatulence?
Foods like beans, lentils, cabbage, broccoli, onions, carbonated drinks, and certain artificial sweeteners can contribute to increased gas production and bloating.
Is flatulence a sign of a serious medical condition?
In most cases, flatulence is a normal part of digestion. However, if it is accompanied by severe pain, changes in bowel habits, or other concerning symptoms, it’s important to seek medical advice.
Can certain medical conditions contribute to excessive flatulence?
Yes, conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), lactose intolerance, celiac disease, and certain gastrointestinal infections can lead to increased flatulence and bloating.
Can stress or anxiety contribute to flatulence?
Yes, stress and anxiety can impact digestion and contribute to symptoms like flatulence and bloating. Practicing relaxation techniques and managing stress may help improve digestive health.
Is it normal to pass gas multiple times a day?
Yes, passing gas multiple times a day is consider normal for most individuals. However, what is consider “normal” can vary from person to person.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment