What is Chest Pain ?
Chest pain refers to discomfort or aching sensations felt in the chest area, often caused by various underlying factors ranging from minor muscle strains to serious cardiac conditions. There are many reasons for chest pain. There are many types of symptoms felt when there is chest pain. Heaviness and pain in the chest, ranging from sharp prickling to mild pain. Sometimes there is a feeling of pressure and burning in the chest pan. Some people also feel pain in the neck and jaw due to chest pain. According to Ayurveda, chest pain occurs due to all the three doshas namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Chest pain is a cause for concern. This problem increases during winter. There can be different reasons for chest or chest pain and in most cases these reasons are not clearly known to the patient. It can also be the pain of some heart related disease. Therefore it should not be taken lightly.
Due to the accumulation of phlegm in the lungs, there is stiffness in the nerves, due to which pain starts in the ribs. In cold weather or due to excessive consumption of cold things, such problems may have to be faced. Generally, the problem of phlegm is seen more in people who consume more cold foods. When there is pain in the ribs, along with the pain in the chest, the discomfort also increases.
When food is taken through the mouth, saliva is produced in the mouth. This saliva starts breaking down the starch present in the food into smaller molecules. The food then travels through the food pipe into the stomach, where the lining of the stomach produces digestive products to digest the food. Acid is also formed during this process. In many people, the lower esophageal sphincter (food pipe) does not close properly, and often remains open. This causes heaviness and pain in the chest and severe burning. This is called GERD or acid reflux.
Many people misunderstand that chest pain is only caused by a heart attack, but this is false. Symptoms of chest pain are felt for many reasons. Let us know about it in detail below. If you are constantly troubled by chest pain, then you can find information here for home remedies for chest pain.
Symptoms of Chest Pain
Do not ignore these symptoms :
- Feeling of prickling or tightening in the chest
- Feeling of heaviness in chest
- Shortness of breath
- Cold sweats in the heat or sweating in the cold
- Feeling weak
- Chest pain spread to shoulder and arm
- Heartburn, pressure or tightness
- Trouble swallowing
- Bad taste in mouth
- Feeling restless
Causes of Chest Pain
People can feel chest pain for different reasons. Some people have this pain on the left side and some people have this pain on the right side. Sometimes it is very light, sometimes it is very fast. In such a situation, do not make the mistake of ignoring it at all. The main cause of chest pain are :
- Gas or Acidity
- Heart attack
- Blockage in the blood vessels of the heart
- Swelling of the heart muscle
- Pain even if there is a problem in the large blood vessel of the heart
- Chest pain can occur due to pneumonia
- Blood clot formation
- Swelling around the lungs
- Panic attacks
- Abdominal cramps
Chest pain can be due to other reasons apart from cardiac problems. This problem can also be due to any problem of lung infection, alimentary canal, muscles, rib nerves. Heaviness and pain can be felt in the chest or chest anywhere from the lower part of the neck to the upper part of the abdomen. Let us know due to which reasons chest pan can happen :
1) Lung Disease :
Chest pain can also occur due to lung disease, in this condition there is pain in the side of the chest, this pain increases with breathing or coughing. Common causes of chest pain include inflammation in the lining of the lungs (pleura) leading to chest pain. Lung diseases such as pneumonia and asthma can also cause chest pain.
2) Pleuritis (inflammation of the inner walls of the chest) :
Chest pain can occur due to inflammation in the inner membrane of the chest. If the membrane present on the upper surface of the lung becomes inflamed, then the air starts rubbing on breathing through the swollen surface of the inner membrane of the chest, causing unbearable pain. Most of the pleuritis is cause by TB infection or pneumonia.
3) Asthma :
Asthma is a common breathing problem. The patient experiences swelling in the airways. It can also cause chest pain.
4) TB :
TB can also be the main cause of chest pain. In this disease also, there can be swelling in the membrane of the lungs, due to which the patient starts feeling pain when he breathes by rubbing air on the swollen surface.
5) Angina Pectoris :
A heart attack can also be a reason for left side chest pain. Recurrent chest pain is a symptom of angina pectoris, which takes the form of heart disease. In this problem the amount of blood reaching the heart is reduce. Due to lack of oxygen supply to the heart, there is difficulty in breathing with chest pain (heart attack ke karan).
6) Peripheral Vascular Disease:
Pain in the arteries of the heart is called peripheral vascular (P.V.D). Chest pain (chati me dard) occurs when the circulation of blood is obstructed in the arteries that supply blood to the brain and the internal organs of the body that connect to the heart.
7) Coronary Artery Dissection:
A hole or scratch in a coronary artery is called a coronary artery dissection. This condition can arise due to a variety of factors. This can cause sudden severe pain.
8) Bone/Nerve Problems :
Chest pain can also occur due to broken chest ribs. Inflammation of the ribs is known as osteochondritis, which causes chest pain. Injury to the spine can also cause chest pain, in which cardiac pain becomes difficult to detect. Inflammation in the nerves caused by herpes causes chest pain.
9) Stomach Problems :
Chest pain can also occur due to various diseases of the stomach. Acidity and acid reflux can sometimes cause chest pain and discomfort. Sometimes chest pain can also occur due to spasm in the food pipe or peptic ulcer (wound). When gas is form in the gallbladder and this gas moves towards the chest, then symptoms of gas are felt in the chest and the chest starts to pan.
Prevention for Chest Pain
It is important to make changes in your diet and lifestyle to prevent chest pain. This can reduce the chances of chest pain to some extent. The cause of chest pain is basically unhealthy eating habits. Along with improving our diet, we should also exercise regularly.
Change in Diet :
- Increase the amount of fiber in the diet and reduce the amount of calories.
- Reduce the amount of salt in food and if possible, leave it at all.
- Smoking increases heart disease, so do not consume it.
- Drink a glass of pomegranate juice.
Lifestyle Changes :
- Do exercise like walking briskly, climbing stairs, playing badminton or tennis etc.
- The cause of chest pain is due to unhealthy eating habits. Along with improving our diet, we should exercise regularly.
- Avoid extreme cold environment.
Home Remedies for Chest Pain
Let us know about some such home remedies which can provide relief in rib or chest pain.
1) Taking a spoonful of carom seeds, take 250 ml. Boil in water. When one-fourth of the water is left, while sleeping at night, drink hot water and cover it with a cloth and go to sleep. By doing this experiment twice a day for 5-7 days continuously, chest pain ends. Taking 2 spoons of this decoction twice a day continuously for a few days also helps in curing ribs. In addition, this decoction of oregano is also anti-liver, spleen, hiccups, vomiting, nausea, sour belching, stomach gurgling, root disorders and stones. Apart from this, the pain of cold that occurs during the change of seasons is also remove by this use.
Note: Those who have difficulty in passing urine, they should not consume this decoction.
2) Take 1 clove and give it 125 ml. Boil it in water for 5 minutes and then take it down and cool it. Consuming this quantity regularly is beneficial in rib walking, phlegm, cough and pneumonia. With the use of cloves, the shrinkage and development of the air tubes inside the body and the pain cause by it are destroyed. Sucking cloves in the mouth ends coughing attacks. The cough comes out easily. Clove is beneficial in cough, asthma and respiratory diseases.
3) 1 Cloves, 2 units of black pepper and 4 units of basil leaves are taken in 250 ml. After boiling in water, mixing some amount of milk and sugar candy, doing this experiment 2-3 times a day in place of tea can get rid of ‘tea drink addiction’. It can also be use without adding milk and sweeteners. Apart from this, this experiment is also beneficial in case of chest pain or rib pain (give half the quantity to children). The use of this tea is beneficial even if there is a problem of transmission of any kind of poison in the body.
Note: If someone does not like cloves, then 1-2 grams crush ginger can be used as a substitute instead.
4) Those who do massage daily do not have diseases of air or wind dosha (Vata). Their body becomes capable of withstanding fatigue and injury. The whole body should be massage at least 4 times in a month. Massaging the oil only on the soles of the feet, along with sharpening the eyesight, ends the roughness of the feet, dryness and swelling of the feet. There is softness and strength in the feet. Apart from this, oil massage of feet does not cause sciatica (gridhrasi), pain or diseases of rib nerves.
5) Almonds are rich in poly natural fatty acids as well as contain magnesium. It lowers cholesterol and reduces the risk of chest pain. In case of chest pain, mix equal amounts of almond oil and rose oil together. Apply this mixture slowly in the chest. Apart from this, consume a handful of almonds daily.
6) Stroke and peripheral disease cause narrowing of the arteries. Pomegranate juice helps to overcome those problems. With regular consumption of pomegranate juice, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in it help in preventing chest pain.
7) Garlic is very useful for chest pain. According to a study, eating garlic daily reduces the chances of getting heart disease and helps in its treatment. It lowers cholesterol and prevents plaque from reaching the arteries. With its help, blood flow also improves. Take 1 teaspoon of garlic juice mixed with warm water daily. Otherwise, chew one garlic and 2 cloves daily and consume it.
8) Vitamin K and magnesium are found in basil leaves. Magnesium prevents the buildup of cholesterol in the bloodstream to the heart. It helps in treating chest pain along with cardiac disorders. Taking one spoon basil juice with honey provides benefits. Or eating 8-10 basil leaves also provides relief in chest pain.
9) Aloe vera is a miracle plant, it has many medicinal properties, the properties present in it helps in strengthening the heart, controlling good cholesterol, lowering triglyceride levels and lowering blood pressure and all factors in the chest. Helps in providing relief in pain. Take 1/4 cup of juice daily with warm water.
10) Curcumin is present in abundance in turmeric. Which especially helps in clotting and reducing arterial plaque. Curcumin also reduces chest swelling. It provides quick relief in case of chest pain. Drink turmeric mixed with warm milk daily, it provides relief in chest pain.
11) Camphor oil is also use when there is pain in the chest and ribs due to the effect of air in the body. This can provide relief in pain.
12) Mix about 20 grams of carom seeds and five garlic cloves in 250 ml mustard oil and heat it on low flame. When the quantity of oil is reduce to half, then turn off the gas and after it cools down a bit, fill it in a glass bottle. Whenever there is pain in the ribs, massaging with this oil provides relief.
13) Sometimes chest pain also occurs due to lack of vitamin D in the body. However, this pain is not cause by any heart disease. If the level of vitamin D in your body is low, then get a test done to know it. Eat things rich in vitamin D like mushrooms, milk, fatty fish, cheese, egg yolk etc.
14) Chewing basil leaves can also cure mild pain, heaviness, pressure in the chest. You can also drink tea by adding basil leaves. Drinking a decoction of basil can also provide relief.
15) Apple cider vinegar is also consider good for reducing chest pain. Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which gives it its astringent taste, which aids in the breakdown of food during the body’s digestive process, and helps enhance digestion. Moreover, apple cider vinegar does not cause any harm or any side effect to the body.
16) If the reason for your chest pain is the formation of excess acid in the stomach and you want to get relief from it soon, then you can drink lukewarm water or cold water mixed with a little baking soda. Baking soda in water forms an alkaline solution which can reduce the acid build up in the stomach and help you get relief from chest pain immediately.
17) Ginger is also useful in heart diseases. Ginger contains a chemical compound called gingerol which lowers cholesterol levels. Ginger also has antioxidant properties that protect blood vessels from damage. For this, you can consume ginger daily in this way :
- Drink ginger tea daily.
- Consume raw ginger daily.
- Boil ginger in water and consume that water daily.
When should I go to the doctor ?
If you feel the symptoms of gas in the chest and start feeling pain in the chest, then you can cure it with home remedies, but if it happens again and again, it should never be ignore. In such a situation contact doctor immediately.
When should you be concerned about chest pain ?
Chest pain should not be ignore under any circumstances. In such cases it is very important to consult a doctor. Depending on the diagnosis, the pain may possibly be associate with the heart or lungs, or in some cases may also involve the esophagus, muscles, ribs, and nerves. There is a need to be concerned with these conditions as they can lead to serious complications.
How do I know if chest pain is muscular ?
Chest pain may be sharp or mild in case of muscle strain or strain, which are called acute strains or chronic strains, respectively. Some other signs and symptoms that clearly indicate muscle-related chest pain include muscle spasms, swelling, pain in breathing, bruising and painful movement of the affected part. These are accompanied by fever, irritability, dizziness, sweating, increased pulse rate, etc.
Is chest pain a sign of coronavirus ?
If a person has coronavirus, they may feel tightness in their chest and have difficulty breathing. Chest pain and “shortness of breath” are very common manifestations of the coronavirus. They can be themselves.
What do belching and chest pain indicate ?
Chest pain usually indicates accumulation of gas in the abdomen or in the left part of the colon. Swallowing too much air can trap unwanted gas in the gastrointestinal tract which becomes a reason to initiate chest pain. Apart from this, belching is also a sign of gas that has accumulated or trapped in the GIT.
Is chest pain normal ?
Chest pain can occur at different levels. It could be something related to the heart, digestive system, muscles or psychological factors. The causes of chest pain can be very common or very dangerous. The root cause of chest pain can be acid reflux which can cause mild pain and it can be a heart related problem which can cause terrible pain.
What are the Different Locations of Chest Pain ?
The pain can be in different places of the body. It can occur in the walls of the chest, including the ribs, skin, and muscles. Pain may be experience in the spine, nerves and back muscles as well as in the back. Lungs are also prone to pain. The lining of the trachea and lungs can experience this. There may also be severe pain in the heart. Pain may also be experience in the aorta or the main artery that carries blood from the heart to other parts of the body.
(Disclaimer: All the information and advice written here is based on general information only. Do not ignore chest pain at all. Before trying any home remedies, remedies related to this, take the advice of specialist, expert.)
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment