What is Diarrhea (Loose Motion) ?
Anyone can get diarrheal disease. Almost everyone suffers from diarrhea at some point in their life due to consuming something contaminated outside. This weakens the digestive system of the body. The food eaten is not digested well, and the undigested food becomes thin and starts coming out again and again through the stool. The stool becomes foamy in small amounts. Due to diarrhea, the health of the person becomes weak. Diarrhea is characterized by more frequent, loose, watery stools. You can get diarrhea after eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water, or after ever being in contact with another person. Most cases of diarrhea are caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites.
Diarrhea is one of the most common diseases. These can range from a mild, temporary condition to potentially life-threatening. Globally, there are an estimated 2 billion cases of diarrhea each year, and about 1.9 million children under the age of 5 (mostly in developing countries) die from diarrhea. Diarrhea is characterized by unusually loose or watery stools. Some people pass such stools frequently, but it is not necessarily diarrhea. Similarly, breastfed babies often pass loose stools. This is also a common thing. This is not diarrhea.
The body gets dehydrated in diarrhea. Due to frequent bowel movements, the body starts feeling very weak. Unhealthy food, poor digestive system and late night meals can also be responsible for this. Sometimes hot things or stale food can also be the reason for this. Due to which many other diseases can also be born.
If diarrhea is not stopped on time, then there may be a chance of going to the hospital. That’s why usually whenever someone has diarrhea, the person first tries to control diarrhea by taking medicine, but do you know that diarrhea can be controlled immediately by taking home remedies to stop diarrhea. Most of the people would not know about home remedies to stop diarrhea. You should also know about these measures, because in these ways you can stop diarrhea. Let’s know the home remedies of diarrhea.
Causes of Diarrhea (Loose Motion)
The causes of diarrhea can be :
- When there is an infection in the digestive tract by consuming unhealthy food or contaminated water, then there is a problem of diarrhea.
- Eating leftover stale food at night can cause diarrhea.
- Diarrhea can also be cause by eating extra oily things like samosas, pizza, burger etc. and things made from maida and gram flour.
- Diarrhea is also cause by mental stress, grief or fear.
- Holding stool for a long time causes diarrhea.
- Consuming heavily contaminated alcohol can cause diarrhea.
- Drinking more than the same amount of water can cause diarrhea.
- Eating too much oily, spicy food can also cause diarrhea.
- Consuming a lot of sweet cheese can also cause diarrhea.
Causes of Diarrhea in Kids
There are many reasons for small children to have diarrhea, which are :
- Small children drink mother’s milk, in such a situation when breast milk gets contaminat due to some reason, it causes diarrhea in the baby.
- It has been seen many times that mothers do not abstain too much from their own food and drink during breastfeeding. They eat food with more oil, chili-spices, or even eat stale food kept at night.
- If the baby’s milk bottle is not cleaned properly, the bottle gets infected, due to which the children also start having diarrhea.
- Similarly, children consume more food outside the house like pizza, burger, pastry, ice cream etc. It can also cause diarrhea.
- Sometimes children drink infected water, eat food without washing their hands. Drink water in moderation. All these reasons cause diarrhea in children. It is worth noting that if the treatment is not done in the right way and on time, then children can also die due to diarrhea.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Diarrhea refers to watery stools, but it can be accompanied by other symptoms. Symptoms of diarrhea include:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal bloating
- Weight loss
Diarrhea is a symptom of other conditions, some of which can cause serious symptoms, such as :
- Blood or pus in stool
- Persistent vomiting
If it’s accompanied by diarrhea, or if you’ve been suffering from diarrhea for a long time, it could indicate a more serious illness.
Other Diseases Caused by Diarrhea
In case of diarrhea, it is necessary to seek immediate treatment. Diarrhea can also lead to serious diseases if not treated on time :
1) Wrinkles in the skin due to diarrhea :
If the diarrhea is not stop, there is a lack of water in the body, due to which dark circles start appearing under the eyes. Wrinkles appear in the skin. Therefore, keep information about home remedies to stop diarrhea. Use them when the time comes.
2) Vomiting due to diarrhea :
If the diarrhea does not stop for a long time, then gas starts forming in the stomach. Due to this the patient also starts vomiting.
3) Shortness of breath due to diarrhea :
Sometimes the patient starts feeling weak due to frequent bowel movements. The patient starts having trouble walking. Breathing also starts.
4) Fever due to diarrhea :
Due to diarrhea for a long time, pain starts in the whole body, there is no appetite. Burning starts in hands and feet. The patient starts getting weak. There is a possibility of fever due to this. In such a situation, there is a lot of pain in the heart, groin and chest.
5) Lack of water in the body due to diarrhea :
Due to diarrhea, there is a loss of water in the body. Due to this the patient starts feeling very thirsty. Throat starts drying up. Due to this the patient becomes a victim of dehydration disease. The electric elements present in the body become unbalanced. There is weakness in the body. There is pain in the stomach. This diarrhea takes the form of dysentery.
6) Possibility of anemia due to diarrhea :
There is anemia in the patient or patient, due to which anemia can also occur.
Your Diet During Diarrhea
The diet of a person during diarrhea should be like this :
- If the patient is getting very thin watery stool, then lentil soup should be given.
- The patient should eat moong dal, lentil soup, whey, curd, moong khichdi, porridge, gourd, parwal, non-oil food.
- Powder of dry ginger, black pepper, pippali should be mixed in lentil soup as needed. They increase appetite by strengthening the digestive system (Appetite).
- Outside food such as pizza, burger, pastry, oily food, chili-spicy food should not be eaten much.
- Water should be boiled, filtered and drunk.
- Stale food kept at night should not be eaten.
- In the morning, nutritious food like porridge etc. should be eaten.
- Peas, urad dal, jackfruit, cucumber, cucumber, kheer, samosa, poori, gram flour and things made from maida should not be eaten.
- Soft drinks or alcohol should not be consumed.
- Pomegranate can be consumed during diarrhea, it has astringent properties, which work to control loose motion. It can also remove the weakness of the body.
- The patient can also eat strawberries. It contains fiber, which normalizes the stool, thereby stopping loose motions.
- Brown rice can also be consumed during diarrhea. It is enriched with B vitamins, which can be relaxing.
- Carrot or carrot juice can be drunk to control diarrhea. It contains pectin, which works to prevent loose motion. Apart from this, guava can also be eaten.
- Fresh coconut water is advised to be given to the patients suffering from diarrhea. Actually coconut water contains electrolytes like potassium and sodium. Which help in maintaining the electrolyte balance of the body. It prevents dehydration caused by loose motion and improves blood circulation.
Children Diet During Diarrhea
When a child has diarrhea, he needs to be given such foods :
- If the child is 6-7 months old, he should be given fruit juice, porridge, moong dal khichdi, soup etc. in the form of food.
- Fresh fruit juice should be given.
- The child should be given buttermilk (whey), rice water, green vegetable soup in a short time, so that the lack of water in the body can be fulfilled.
- Make a solution with ORS powder and give it to the child.
- Boil 1 liter of water, filter it and cool it. It has 1 ors. Open the packet and mix it. Give it to the child in small amounts in between half an hour. By using this, the balance of water and salt in the body is maintained and the appetite of the child also increases.
Lifestyle During Diarrhea
During diarrhea, a person should make the following changes in his lifestyle :
- The patient should take maximum rest, because due to excessive diarrhea, weakness comes in the body.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and eat.
- One should not stay hungry for long. Food should be eaten on time.
- After eating food, take a walk for a while so that the food gets digested properly.
- One should sleep on time at night.
- No physical exercise should be done.
- Should not smoke.
Children’s Lifestyle During Diarrhea
In case of diarrhea, the lifestyle of children should be like this :
- Children should not be given outside food and drinking water should be given with clean hands.
- Care should be taken in the cleanliness of children’s toys.
- Do not allow the child to take dirty hands, dirty clothes or toys in the mouth.
- If the child has diarrhea, consult a doctor for immediate treatment.
Prevention Tips for Diarrhea
To avoid the problem of diarrhea, we can already adopt some measures, which are as follows:
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Bad food should be avoide, as it can cause diarrhoea.
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoide, as it can cause stomach upset in excess.
- Wash hands and mouth thoroughly before and after eating. Keep your body and your surroundings clean.
Treatment For Diarrhea
An important substance to treat diarrhea is the electrolyte, which helps to compensate for the loss of water from the body during diarrhea. Apart from this, diarrhea can also be treated by the following measures :
- Patients should be given fruit juice to drink, so that there is no shortage of water in their body.
- Low fiber foods should be eaten.
- Anti-diarrheal therapy can be done with anti-secretory properties or anti-motility medication to reduce stool.
- Probiotic supplements may also be beneficial in patients with acute diarrhea.
- Tests such as colonoscopy or upper endoscopy may be needed for the treatment of chronic diarrhea.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea (Loose Motion)
You can try these methods as a home remedy to stop diarrhea :
1) Due to excessive diarrhea, the patient starts feeling more thirsty. In such a situation, boil 1 teaspoon dry coriander in 1 liter of water. When half the water remains, filter the water and cool it. It should be given to the patient in small quantities.
2) Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in 1 cup of fresh water. Take it every morning – afternoon – evening on an empty stomach or after food. This gradually cleanses the intestines. This recipe proves to be very effective in those who start vomiting with diarrhea.
3) Take 2-3 buds of Kachnar flowers and grind them finely. Mix it with sugar syrup, take it 2 to 3 times daily in the morning and evening before, or after meals. Due to this, the complaint of frequent diarrhea also ends.
4) Mix half a teaspoon of roasted cumin powder with 1 cup of curd or whey. Taking it is beneficial in diarrhea.
5) Take 1 tsp raw fennel (unroasted fennel), 1 tsp cooked saunf (roasted fennel). Mix both. Give half a teaspoon to the patient in the morning and evening. This remedy is very beneficial in diarrhea.
6) Mixing 1 teaspoon of ripe bael (Bael Fruit) pulp with 1 cup fresh curd is beneficial in diarrhea.
7) Boil 4-5 pieces of raw papaya and eat it, chronic diarrhea is cure.
8) Consume curd after meals. One bowl of curd can be eaten twice a day.
9) Boil one to two teaspoons of chamomile tea in water and boil it three times. Let it cool down a bit and then sieve it in a cup. Now add honey to it and drink. Repeat this process three times a day.
10) Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 15 minutes. Now grind the seeds and mix them in a glass of water. Now drink this water. Repeat this process two to three times a day.
11) Mix apple cider vinegar well in a glass of water. Now add a spoonful of honey to it. Then drink it slowly. Repeat this process one to two times a day.
12) Mix ginger juice with honey. Now drink this mixture. Repeat this process two to three times a day.
13) Mix honey with lemon and mint juice. Now mix this mixture in a cup of warm water. Then drink it slowly. Repeat this process twice a day.
14) Mix cinnamon powder and honey in a glass of lukewarm water. Now drink it slowly. It can be consume two to three times a day.
15) First put oil in the cooker. After the oil is hot, add oatmeal and fry it. Now add water to it and close the cooker. After two to three whistles reduce the gas. After cooking on low flame for two to three minutes, switch off the gas. Consume it after it is cook.
16) Soak drumstick leaves in water for 15 minutes. Now grind drumstick leaves and mix them in a glass of water. Then drink this water. This water can be consume two to three times a day.
17) Put tea leaves in water and boil it for some time. After boiling for 5 minutes, filter it and add lemon juice along with it. Then drink this mixture. Repeat this process twice a day.
18) Giving the powder of jamun and mango kernels with half a teaspoon of roasted myrobalan provides quick relief in diarrhea.
19) Make a solution by mixing 1 tsp sugar, tsp salt, and 1 tsp lemon juice in 1 glass of water. This solution should be given to the patient after every two or three hours. It is an effective way to stop loose stools.
20) Banana should be eaten in diarrhea. Potassium is found in abundance in banana. Potassium makes up for the lack of electrolytes, which get depleted due to frequent diarrhea.
Things To Keep In Mind
If a person is not getting benefit from these mentioned prescriptions, then there can be many reasons for this like :
- The patient is taking medicine but is not abstaining, such as eating heavy food (with oil, chili, spices). Eating more food than usual.
- Drinking too much water, or drinking unboiled water.
- Due to staying awake till late night, the doshas present in the body are not balance, due to which the remedy does not have any effect on the patient.
Recomonded Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment