What is Dysentery ?
Dysentery is a gastrointestinal infection characterized by inflammation of the intestines, leading to severe diarrhea with blood or mucus. When a person has stomach cramps and intestinal cramps and along with it he has a strong urge to have a bowel movement, he goes to the toilet to have a bowel movement and there is a very strong twist even while passing stool, then such a problem is called dysentery. Dysentery is a severe diarrheal disease of the digestive system. It is characterized by the presence of blood and mucus in the stool. White clots like pus come out in the stool of such a patient. Due to improper digestion, mucus and phlegm comes out along with the stool. Disturbances in the flow occur in the large intestine.
In this disease, germs By entering the body through the mouth, they make their home in the intestines. It is more during the rainy season. If such a situation arises with any person, then he should understand that he has got a disease of dysentery, which will be more beneficial for him to be cured soon. Slightly mucousy stools come out with convulsions in dysentery. Sometimes blood comes out along with the mucus. The release of mucus (phlegm) alone is called “dysenteric diarrhoea”. The patient has cramping pain in the abdomen during bowel movement.
In dysentery, there is a pain of pricking a needle in the stomach, there is a desire to go to the bathroom after a while, the appetite stops, the stomach becomes disoriented and the patient’s body smells – these are the main causes of dysentery. Symptoms are when blood starts coming out along with the stool in the stream, then it is called blood flow, in the beginning of the flow there are symptoms of pyrexia, diarrhea and pain in the stomach.
Types of Dysentery
There are two types of dysentery disease which are as follows :
1) Amoebic Dysentery :
It is also called bloody dysentery. This disease is caused by infection with a virus called Enta and Meba histolytica in the large intestine of humans. Diarrhea occurs 4-5 times a day. Along with this, black and red blood is mostly seen with dilute diarrhea in large quantities. One of the specialties of this disease is that in this, the sufferer also comes with stool repeatedly and there is also a twist in the stomach.
Symptoms of Bloody Dysentery :
- Mucous is found in abundance in the stool of such patient and a small amount of blood is also found.
- Such a patient feels very foul-smelling diarrhea, in which sometimes no bowel and blood is found.
- Such a person has complaints of bleeding and bleeding in the stool for a long time.
- The person suffering from such disease also has the problem of constipation.
2) Bacillary Dysentery :
It is not a flux but a kind of diarrhea which is very dangerous. Eggs are the reason for the occurrence of this disease. There is a very high fever. The patient suffering from this disease should get 10-20 or Diarrhea occurs more often than this.
There is severe pain with cramps in the stomach. Blood along with mucus is also seen in the thin stools of such patients. This type of patient has fever around 102 F along with convulsions. In this, the patient has to pass stool too often.
Because of this, he feels weak inside.
Symptoms of Bacillary Dysentery :
- This disease mostly occurs in young people of the new age. First, they complain of abdominal pain and loose motion, and along with this the fever is also very high.
- The patient suffering from this disease goes on frequent bowel movements, in which blood along with mucus is also visible to some extent.
- Such a patient keeps pressing his stomach repeatedly because he feels momentary relief by doing so.
Cause of Dysentery
So much so that we and you know that any disease has its own reasons, due to which that disease arises. Similarly, there are some major reasons for having dysentery disease which are as follows :
- The main cause of this disease is caused by a particular bacterium (Bishiga) of Shigella species. It is a strong efficacious bacterium, which is excreted in large quantities through the stool of the patient.
- If a person has liver failure, then it is the biggest cause of dysentery.
- People who do not eat food from time to time or there is no rule for their food, then it is common for such people to have this kind of disease.
- People who have poor digestion, they are also at high risk of getting this problem.
- When a person complains of loose motion and does not get proper treatment to cure it, then he has to become a patient of dysentery later.
- If a person has been suffering from diarrhea for a long time, for which he has not taken any medicine on time or if necessary steps are not taken to cure the digestive system even after the diarrhea has stopped, then the risk of developing dysentery increases.
- The person who likes very spicy, spicy and very fried spicy food and he keeps on consuming such food regularly, then he also gets this disease.
- People who use Dalda in their food the most and continuously, they get this disease the most.
- Most of the people whose stomach is not clean or the stool is not clear, they also do not have to go through the problem of dysentery.
- Consumption of impure water and food items, drinking too much alcohol, due to contamination of the digestive tract, insomnia, due to stopping the uncontrollable velocity, etc. are the causes of flux or dysentery.
Symptoms of Dysentery
Now let me tell you about the identification of this disease, so that you will also be able to easily identify what are the symptoms of the patient in this disease. Following are the symptoms of dysentery disease :
- The main symptoms of dysentery are, Cramps and pains in the abdomen, frequent diarrhea, dry mouth, thirst, excessive emaciation, abdominal pain, restlessness, slow pulse rate, clouding of the eyes, blood and mucus in the stool, etc.
- Severe urge to have bowel movements in the abdomen with fever. Tendency to have stools 20 to 30 times a day.
- There is a lot of foul odor from the body of such a patient, this is the main identity of the patient of dysentery.
- There is a strange pain in the stomach and have to go for bowel movements again and again.
- Such a patient does not feel hungry and there is a feeling of chaos in the stomach.
- A person suffering from this disease has abdominal cramps and spasms in the intestines while passing stools.
- A patient suffering from such a disease has to exert force to pass stool, then a little stool comes out somewhere.
- A pus-like substance also comes out with the stool of such a patient.
- The person who has the disease of dysentery keeps passing stools repeatedly.
- Even if the patient goes to urinate, he suddenly feels a strong urge to excrete the stool, after which he has to use the toilet.
- Such a patient always likes to lie down, he does not feel like doing any work at all.
- When such a patient wakes up after defecation, there is pain in his legs and he feels himself very weak.
- Sometimes only blood comes during bowel movement.
- Due to excessive diarrhea, the condition of dehydration arises.
- The patient becomes very weak very soon.
- Initially there is very thin stools, later there is less stool and more blood and urine or only anus.
Prevention of Dysentery
- Everyone should wash their hands thoroughly with soap immediately after going to the toilet.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap just before taking food.
- Raw vegetables should not be consumed in large quantities at all.
- If someone in the house has a problem of dysentery, then his clothes should be kept away from other people, otherwise the virus will also make the people who come in contact sick.
- It is very important to keep cutting your nails from time to time to prevent dysentery.
- To avoid the flow, only clean and filtered water should be consumed.
Home Remedies for Dysentery
There are many such indigenous medicines for dysentery which you can prepare at home and by consuming them you can get rid of this disease, which we are telling below :
1) Make a chutney by taking equal quantity of the kernel of the unripe fruit of a shell (coconut) and sesame seeds. Dysentery ends by eating it mixed with curd and ghee.
2) Make a powder by taking equal quantity of fennel, dry ginger, clove, roasted cumin and pomegranate. Mixing a little salt in it and taking it with 3 to 3 pieces of whey ends dysentery.
3) Taking cauliflower of black pepper and peepal with milk also cures chronic dysentery in 3 days.
4) Mixing sugar in the juice of 10 grams basil leaves and drinking it in the evening ends bloody dysentery.
5) 125 ml Goat’s milk and 250 ml. Take clean water. Add one tola (1 tola is equal to 180 grains) Belgiri (Wood Apple) to it and cook it on fire. When all the water gets burnt and the milk remains, then filter it and mix sugar candy and drink it, it ends dysentery and convulsions.
6) Make a powder by taking equal quantity of white resin and sugar. Dysentery ends by taking this powder with water in the amount of 2 ratti (1 ratti is equal to 1.8 grains).
7) Taking the pulp of ripe bael (stone apple) with curd and jaggery is beneficial in dysentery.
8) Taking raw bael’s (stone apple) pulp, sugar candy and 2 Masha (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) Nagkeshar (Ceylon ironwood/Mesua ferrea Linn) together, it provides relief in dysentery.
9) Make a paste by mixing four pieces of moch juice and white resin. Taking this powder at an interval of 3 to 3 hours gives very quick relief in dysentery.
10) Make a powder after grinding and sifting the Karkatshringi (Pistacia integerrima). Dysentery ends by eating 1-2 grams of it mixed with curd at an interval of 4-4 hours.
11) Roast black myrtle in cow’s ghee and grind it and mix sugar in equal quantity and keep it. Dysentery ends by taking 6 grams of it with water.
Note: Take only curd and rice in the meal.
12) Taking 6 grams green leaves of rosewood, green mint or 12 grams fresh (6 grams if dry) after grinding like thandai is beneficial in dysentery.
13) Taking peepal powder with goat’s milk in the amount of 2 mashas (1 Masha is equal to 0.972 Grams) also ends the chronic disease of dysentery.
14) Taking 4-5 grams powder of black pepper with fresh water thrice a day destroys the flow.
15) Dysentery is destroyed by the consumption of buttermilk or orange juice.
16) Grind 20 grams alum and 2 grams opium both finely and mix it well and keep it in a glass vial. Now take one-fourth teaspoon of this powder on an empty stomach every morning. Consuming it for a few days will get rid of the disease of dysentery. It is considered to be the best home remedy for dysentery.
17) Drinking 10 to 20 grams juice of Tulsi leaves every day on an empty stomach for a few days destroys the flow of disease, it is also known as a very good medicine for dysentery.
Food to Avoid
As much as medicines are needed for this disease, there is also a need for abstinence in this disease, they complement each other, none of these things can be ignored:
- Consumption of jaggery, oil, ghee etc. is strictly prohibited.
- Consumption of cigarettes, alcohol etc. is also prohibited.
- Such a patient should not consume any fruit which has slight sourness like lemon, orange, mango etc.
- Fast chili spicy food should not be consumed even by forgetting.
- Such a patient should always avoid taking heavy food.
How is Dysentery transmitted?
Dysentery is usually transmitted through ingestion of contaminated food or water, or through direct contact with an infected person’s feces.
Is Dysentery a serious condition?
In severe cases or when left untreated, dysentery can lead to complications like dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and even systemic infection, which can be life-threatening.
How is Dysentery diagnosed?
Diagnosis often involves a combination of clinical evaluation, stool tests to identify the causative agent, and sometimes blood tests to assess the severity of infection.
What is the treatment for Dysentery?
Treatment typically involves antibiotics for bacterial dysentery, while parasitic dysentery may require specific anti-parasitic medications. Rehydration is crucial to replace lost fluids and electrolytes.
Can Dysentery be prevented?
Yes, practicing good hygiene, especially when handling food and water, and maintaining proper sanitation can significantly reduce the risk of contracting dysentery.
Is Dysentery a common global health concern?
Yes, dysentery remains a significant public health issue in many parts of the world, particularly in regions with limited access to clean water and sanitation facilities.
When should I seek medical attention for Dysentery?
If you experience severe symptoms like high fever, dehydration, persistent vomiting, or if blood in the stool is profuse or accompanied by signs of shock, seek immediate medical care.
Recommended Articles :
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) | Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism | Symptoms, Causes & Home Remedies
- Gallstones | Symptoms, Causes, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Fatty Liver | Symptoms, Causes, Types & Home Remedies
- Thyroid Disease | Symptoms, Causes, Types, Home Remedies & Treatment